Windows Files Sharing = Deleted ?!?

Gnomo

Registered
Um...okay, so I installed this Samba Sharing Preference Pane thinking "Oh, cool a way to control Samba more than just turning it on/off and I don't have to use Webmin."

Well, the preference pane didn't really do anything that spectacular and actually IMO webmin was much better...So I followed the uninstall directions that came with it and deleted the preference pane and the two files that came with it (Samba Config Tool & Popup).

The problem is since I deleted the pref pane (which still stays in the preferences, but I'll wait for the answer to that to be posted if a different thread) I cannot turn on Windows sharing. I try to turn it on from the Sharing Pane in System Preferences the check mark just disappears. :confused:

So, not to be out done, I went to webmin and tried to use that to start the samba daemons (I'd done it before from there why not this time. Oh - BTW, I had never installed anything other than the normal 10.2 files and webmin would start windows sharing.) However, webmin told me that samba was not installed on my computer. :confused: :mad: :eek:

So, um...how do I get that back? I don't really miss it, because I never got it to work from my Win XP box ... but that is another issue probably caused by the Active Directory domain ... but I would like to have it there, just incase. Do I have to reinstall 10.2 ?

Lovely, I ask a question about how to restore part of the OS and I get moved to "Cross Platform Connection." No offense the moderators or posters in this section (cause you've been very helpful on all sorts of issues), but I am fairly sure that if they had actually read my post the would have seen that it related to "Mac OSX" more than how to get Macs and PCs (or other OSes) to talk to each other.

Ok...now I feel dumb. I asked a friend of mine and he told me that I should RTFL (aka. read the error log). So, I found out where the error was (/etc/smb.conf), found that OSX keeps a template copy of the smb.conf file, duplicated the template, renamed...and bingo Everything works like it once did.

To complete your removal of the Samba Sharing Package, you need to go to /Library/PreferencePanes/ or ~/Library/PreferencePanes and remove "SambaSharing.prefPane"

Back