Windows iPod in Mac OSx

Auric

Registered
Greetings,

I have been an iPod user for the past number of year, and have a modest collection of approximately 25Gb. My first iPod died, so I recently replaced it wiht the new iPod video, in black of course........
Today I became a convert and took delivery of a new black Macbook, which I am in the process of setting up. I connected up my iPod but my iTunes installation didn't detect my iPod completely. It did detect it, but there was a red X on the iPod, and it won't appear in iTunes.

Now, I'm sure that I could reformat the iPod in OSX, but I don't want to do this, as I use multiple machines in work which are PC and they pick up the iPod fine. Also I don't see why the iPod shouldn't be automatically detected woring by my Mac installation of iTunes.

any ideas?

I think you might have to authorize the Mac to use that iPod, but don't quote me on it. ;)

Greetings,
Now, I'm sure that I could reformat the iPod in OSX, but I don't want to do this, as I use multiple machines in work which are PC and they pick up the iPod fine. Also I don't see why the iPod shouldn't be automatically detected woring by my Mac installation of iTunes.
any ideas?

I just switched from XP to OS/X and didn't have to do anything to my Mini to have it work, no need to reformat or anything. I think I saw something on one web site way back saying that if you're above a certain rev level on your iPod via iPod Updater that reformatting is not needed, but I can't recall where I saw that.

Interestingly, we picked up a refurb'd Mini for my daughter and we 'did' need to reformat it to make it usable under XP for her. Go figure.

IF your daughter's iPod was formatted HFS+ originally, then that could be why. I think you have to have it formatted FAT32 if you want it to be read on the Mac and Windows.

Back