Windows/Mac server

servernewbie

Registered
Hello Gods of Serving. :) Ok that was stupid. Im looking for advice and guidance. As of right now we have NO server. We have a windows desktop that is holding all of our files though. We have decided to purchase a server though as things will be changing. Being the IT guy here at this small office i am tasked to try and figure out what we need and the best way to do it. I am a Mac fan. At home I have 2 machines and much prefer using them over windoz. But Here at work it is a PC world. It cant change and wont change. So I need to figure out what I need in a server and which OS is the best for my situation. I have never set up a Mac server so it would be totaly new, but I feel it would be more stable then windows therefor I can figure out how to set it up with your help. :)

My first question... How many services can 1 server handle?

We need a VPN server as we are going to have remote users soon and want to continue to keep all documents here at the office.
We also need a file server.

These are the 2 most important. But know a little about servers in general, do we need an active directory, DNS and maybe an email server. Right now email is handled by your ISP comcast. It is by far the best solution though.

I would like to impliment active directory and DNS to control what people can do on their computers. Right now they are free to do whatever they want and its becoming a problem.

Can 1 xserve handel what I need to do. I really need to keep the price around 5 grand. We need a lot of storage as we have tons of photos that are kept for each project. I feel a Raid configuration would be good as well for some sort of backup. I also plan on using an external HD as a backup solution right now as well. May a Mac Pro would be a better solution. I have no idea.

From my little knowledge on widows server 1 machine can not handel everything I want to do which is a big turn off. VPN and File server is the most important and 1 widnows box could handle that but I really think active directory is important as well.

What are your thoughts on this. What should I look into, what kind of info am I missing on making an educated decision? Am I crazy. Its hard for me to know what to do when I havent had to do this in my lifetime.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Dusty

If you want to implement Active Directory to Windows based clients you are going to have to use a Windows server. A decently specified system with at least 4GB RAM will handle VPN and File stores perfectly well, just make sure you have plenty of disk space.

Neither OSX or Windows 2003 will do VPN, they need third party products to to this. But both will do file stores with no problem. You would really need more than one server though for any kind of resilience, a windows server will do pretty much everything on one machine as long as the hardware is up to the job. I have a development server that is running SQL, a web server a VMware server setup and terminal services with no problems.

Having said that I would not recommend puting all your eggs in one basket on either platform, if you do one system failure and everything fails. If you are going to use AD you are going to authenticate against the server, so it is best practice to have more than one domain controller to back-up this function.

One major problem in going Mac is that you are limited to only 3 hard disks. Really you should be looking at RAID 1 for your system and RAID 5 for the rest which means at least 4 disks.

I work with a mixed mode network and while I do think that on the desktop OSX has the edge, I would always go for Windows on servers. Keep them behind a firewall preferably with no external internet access and you should have no problems.

If you want any more information let me know.

If you really wanted to you could run every service on the box at the same time but no one in their right mind would recommend this well maybe a Sales person might :p

What you really need to look at is how many users you are running and what kind of data is going to be copied.

Let me give you an idea I have client with an old G4 Xserve this has 3gb of ram and runs OD, Web, AFP, SMB, VPN, DNS and DHCP Server version 10.4.8.

They only have 20 users so not a major problem.

I have another site which has a server dedicated to file sharing and another for running the needed services as well as a Backup to the OD.

What I'm trying to get to is, it really depends what the Users need and your budget.

Active Directory.......

Okay this Directory service is a MS solutions you'll need a PC Server to do this, but you Can run Open Directory but you have no real control over your users like you do with AD. You can map drives and have have home folders.

Hardware

You could run a MacPro as the server but its not built to be a server its a desktop so you have no spare PSU for example.

Tommo

Both Windows 2000,2003 and 2007 offer VPN services and so Does MacOS X server from 10.3 upwards.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot guys. I have played with windows servers but never have had to set them up. I did get my hands on a osx server to mess with and I really like it but I do need to control what goes on with the workstations so I guess a windows server will have to be it. How many users? No more then 15. Right now we have 9 employee's There will be 1 that will connect to the VPN all the time as she will be working from home (baby on the way) then 2 others will connect sometimes as they will work from home when needed. Files that are transfered over the network will be Large megapix photos, DWG's and PDF's. Maybe other word docs, excel etc. Im also trying to implement a DNN portal to use as a project management system that we all can connect to. It would be nice to run a web server as well but I think thats asking to much for one server so for now we will have to use offsite server for that. You say that with OD you cant control users/workstations like you can with AD. I find that odd as we all know these 2 companies compete over everything. So it seems anyway. But it does look like Ill have to go with a Windoze box. 4 gig of Ram is the recomendation? Time to start shopping I guess. I really appriciate your opinions and response. If you have any other inside please feel free to email or post here.

Dusty

Back