Windows Media 9 Problem

sholmes

Registered
I'm running 10.4 and using Firefox as my browser. Everytime I come to a website that has a WMV file to play in the browser, it says I need to download Windows Media 9. I have checked and confirmed that I do indeed have WM 9. Regardless, I downloaded a new version but I get the pinwheel as soon as the VISE Installer starts. Can anyone help me? I really just need to get Windows Media Player working with Firefox but I'm not sure if this is a Firefox, OS X, or Windows Media problem. Thanks!

I can verify your issue. Windows Media Player 9 is installed on my machine, but doesn't work. I have reinstalled it, but it still crashes on launch.

-JARinteractive

Whenever I try to install it, it freezes on me to. I just gave up on it because it's a microsoft product anyway. I've been looking for another media player for browsers and havent found one yet, except RealPlayer which only plays files RealPlayer can read. You could install this into Firefox and then download VLC media player.

Firefox Extension:
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=446

VLC Media Player:
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/5758

Actually, You could tell the extension to point to Windows Media Player that you have installed.

Thank you for your help (again, you helped me last week). I know this is a dumb question, but how do you point the extension to WMP?

sholmes said:
Thank you for your help (again, you helped me last week). I know this is a dumb question, but how do you point the extension to WMP?
Select a Windows Media file. In any version of MacOS X, select the File > Get Info or [Apple]-I. From the Opens with: pop-up menu, select Windows Media Player. If you have MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger), you may select File > Opens With > Windows Media Player from within the Finder.

WMP 9 for Mac OS X does NOT play WMV3 files if they're encoded as .wmv (although it does if they're encoded as .asf).

There's a QuickTime extension that was posted a couple of weeks ago that does, however, but it costs money. I believe it's called Flip4Mac WMA Player.

sholmes said:
No, I mean the Firefox extension, not the Mac OS default.
What do you mean Firefox extension? Firefox's extension is .app. If you want to use Firefox as the default app for your media content ... well, that's just silly. Make sure that your Windows Media files have Windows Media Player set as their default application. When Firefox encounters a WM file, it will call up the WMP to play them externally or it may call up an embedded Windows Media player to play the files within a Firefox window.
texanpenguin said:
WMP 9 for Mac OS X does NOT play WMV3 files if they're encoded as .wmv (although it does if they're encoded as .asf).
Are you sure? It is my experience that WMP for the Mac plays all WM files except DRM content. Obviously, WMP 9 cannot play Windows Media 10 content.
HomunQlus said:
You can also try to download the MPlayer, and say to Firefox that WMV files should played with that player. I think it supports the WMV format.
Despite many assertions to the contrary, neither MPlayer nor VLC play all Windows Media content. They play Windows Media 7 (which I believe is WMV1). However, they cannot play Windows Media 9 or Windows Media 10.

Go to "Tools" "Extensions" in Firefox and select the extension and click "Options". Browse for the WindowsMedia app. VLC also can play WMV (ones that are encoded that it is capable of viewing).

I've tried emailing and calling microsoft about the problem with the windows media installer but they actually hung up on me and I never got a email back. Shows what a great company they are. :mad:

I think all windows media formats should be blown off the face of this earth. MPEG is just fine with me.

Back