Windows Media Player

FaRuvius

Hardest Flusher
Hey All,

I have posted the X installer for windows media player onto my iDisk. It installs a plugin for IE that works pretty good for websites like CNet that only have real video or WMA.

Click here!

FaRuvius!

Is this the version that comes with Office? I can get CNET 's video to play, but many other sites that use WMP for video and audio don't work. For example, Rush Limbaugh's site's audio clips return a error message "windows media player cannot play this file because the player does not support this codec".

I had this same problem with the beta, but figured they would fix it before they released it...

Maybe that's why it hasn't been released yet. Still, you would think if it was good enough to include on the Office CD....

What did you say? I couldn't hear you.

Oh sorry, that was a bad Rush Limbaugh joke. ;) He's going deaf, and I think his producers have to type up what he's callers are saying sometimes. It's hilarious when there's these giant pauses after a caller says something - one time a person asked if he was even listening. Although it isn't something you wish on the guy (although liberals would claim he's been deaf for years, never hearing anything that they're saying, or atleast distorting - I guess he has a good reason for getting a distorted message).

F-bacher

I dunno man.

Yes, this is what comes with Office v.X

It works for CNet, so it must be the way that the other website is encoding it. Perhaps the audio is an .mp3 stream or something screwy that the X version isn't built for.

And you shouldn't be listening to that jaggof anyway. He and Chris Matthews and all the rest just like hearing themselves talk, and it sounds like rush can't even do that!! :D

Sorry.

FaRuvius

Ah, sometimes I forget that a large percentage of Mac users are liberal bedwetters...

In all seriousness, it's not an .mp3 stream. It's a .asx stream, and it works just fine with WMP 7 for Mac and WMP 6 and higher for Windows. I've found several sites that support WMP but won't work for whatever reason with the new OS X version. Very bad news. I was hoping WMP for OS X would allow me to watch most of the content I was loading Classic for, but until Real shows up with their OS X port, I guess I'm screwed.

And, hey, cut Rush some slack - he's been one of the biggest supporters of the Mac platform for years. He plugs the equipment daily on his show, and can be seen with his huge 22" Cinema display on his webcam.

The problem with playing the Rush clips and clips from many other news websites, including MSN, is that WMP for OS X does not include the acelp.net audio codec (http://www.acelp.net). This codec is apparently very popular for spoken word type media and is used by default by many compression applications for Windows Media when compressing video. Does anyone know a way to install the acelp.net codec under Mac OS X? Has anyone contacted Microsoft about this issue?

-Phyl

serpicolugnut,

I use the Windows Media Player included with the copy of Office X I bought and have found the Doctor of Democracy to come through crystal clear.

Stylewise

windows media player doesn't work on limbaugh's site because they don't support os x as of yet. I don't know what they have to do on their end but they and a lot of other sites haven't done it. I went to the support page and it tells you that they don't support os x. I know how you feel man. I love to listen to rush, but I can't right now. I would probably subsribe to his site if I could actually listen to it.

Looks like Rush is now using the correct codec for his archived clips. The daily WMP stream still seems to be incompatible, but the archive clips seem to work now.

I've been using a an .mp3 stream from a local radio stadio to get the "live" show. Those of you in the Eastern time zone (or those in the west who don't mind listening to the show live at 9AM your time), can check it out at:
http://www.wgst.com/

It's nice to be able to listen via iTunes...

Enjoy...

Back