Windows Networking and OS X

locus

Registered
Does anybody know if OS X is hinting or has the capabilty to communicate on an NT or WIN 2000 network?

I'm the only employee with a Mac ( about 200 PC's) and they set me up with a share, it's alright but limited.

It would be to Apple's advantage to provide some sort of Network Neighborhood, it might sell their computers in a Wintel enviorment like mine.

Originally posted by locus

It would be to Apple's advantage to provide some sort of Network Neighborhood, it might sell their computers in a Wintel enviorment like mine.

Join the club, i screamed for this function to apple.
(Of the 75000 feedbacks they received on OSXPB 10 are about Winnetworking support and written by me)

Actually, no one knows. It's a big mystery. It seems almost impossible they could do that at this late stage.
But Thursby (creators of DAVE) have already committed to delivering a OSX version to communicate with Windows Networks. This would be ideal for your situation.

Another possibility is Sharity. Look for it at versiontracker. It creates the Network neighbourhood kind of thing. But it does not let you share, or logon to networks. if i'm correct. Furthermore it's not free.

You might also try the unix version of windows support. It's called samba. I partly ported it to OSX (You can find it here: http://home.student.utwente.nl/d.hartman). It isn't quite finished yet but it's free. I'm also trying to create a FTP like app to access the shares. It's a bit hard to set it all up, but it works.

DJ (hartman@mac.com)

Actually there are at least eleven posts between the 75.000.
I wrote a long one about this.
Gabi.

I've been using Sharity(b6) on OS X PB for about a month now, and it works great. It already works better than DAVE ever did, and both Sharity and OS X are beta. Says something about the quality of DAVE and OS 9...

Give Sharity a try. (http://www.obdev.at/) Sure it doesn't make your machine visible on the Windows network to share files from like DAVE does, but if you really wanted that, you <b>could</b> use Samba.

I'll say two last things about Sharity:
1. It's <b>not</b> at all simple to set up - lots of filepath type configuring to get your mounts set up (unless you just browse from the network neighborhood type view). Once they're set up though, it's great.
2. It's <b>FAAAAST!</b> Anyone that has ever used DAVE can attest to it's slowness. I've copied files to/from NT machines at 4MB/s+ before (yes, *megabytes*). That's fast!

Back