Windows Networking

Dris

The Benevolent
I'm at my friend's house connected to his LAN with my iMac. From my Mac, I can bring up the "Connect to Server" thing and find his computers and mount them. Everything there is good. However, he can't seem to connect to me from any of his PCs.

I enabled Windows networking from the Sharing preference pane, and I have a user account that has the "Allow to login from Windows" thing checked. But when on his PC he goes to Add A Network Place, types in "\\my.ip.add.ress\user", it seems to work, but the password won't. We've tried that password over and over, but it won't work.

I searched the board, but I couldn't find anything that helped. :p Might have missed it, I dunno. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Okay, now my computer is showing up in his network places, but when he double-clicks it, it says "No permission to access resource." Hmm...Doesn't seem anyone knows what's going on...

Don't know how you do it from the gui, but on your windows box try the following from the command line:

net use t: \\my.ip.address\macUser /user:macUser

e.g.

net use t: \\192.168.1.10\bob /user:bob

where macUser is the user account that you're trying to login as (same as you were doing). The problem you're probably running into is that the windows box tries to connect as whatever account you're logged in as on the windows machine, which if it isn't the same user name as on the Mac, won't authenticate. Using the /user: option says to log in as a different user, in this case, your Mac user account.

BinaryDigit is correct. I have been working out the same problem. It is necessary to have a user on the Mac that is the same as a user on the Windows side so that they can authenticate. Or try the method that BS describes above.
I am currently experiencing a problem where no matter what I do , one of my accounts will not allow me to log in.
After creating a new account I can get into that new account just fine. This problem began after I performed a clean install of the system and saved user prefs so I think something got screwed up there.
If you still can't connect, try making a new user on the mac and then logging into the windows side as that user. If this works, there is something else wrong with that particular user on the Mac side (similar to my problem but the cause is still unknown to me).
By the way, you need to log into the windows side as the "short" user name or it will not authenticate.

Back