Windows OS in Mac?

graphicles

Registered
I havent bought a Mac yet coz Im waiting for the new Intel Core 2 Duo to become available here. This would be my first Mac btw, one of the reasons why Ive decided to switch is coz its recommended by most graphics artists and its more stable, and doesnt hang much.

This is probably a dumb question but Ill ask anyway...

:confused: Concerning the new Mac Operating System, coz my understanding is, that we can still install Windows OS and use it and will be able to run Mac OS at the same time. At the Apple Center, I did see one PC that was running Windows, so that confirmed it. If thats the case then would that mean that I can still install Photoshop (or any other program) using the Windows OS like i would normally do it? Or should I install them using the Mac OS and use/find installers that are compatible to Mac only.

Just to let you know, one reason why I used to be afraid to switch is coz of the different aspects of each OS, since most of the available programs will only run in Windows.

Theoretically, you can do all of the things you mentioned. But it only makes _some_ sense...

In order to run Windows apps side by side with Mac apps, you'd have to run Windows in a virtual machine using for example Parallels Desktop [ www.parallels.com ]. There you'd have to install Windows as well as the applications. If you _do_ have a Windows license and the Adobe software licenses for Windows, I'd do that for now. When Adobe CS 3 is released, you should buy a crossgrade to the Mac version in order to run them natively in Mac OS X.

You lose quite a bit on the big plusses Mac OS X has over Windows for graphics designers when using Windows software in Parallels, you see. For example, you're _still_ running a copy of Windows then, which means that security-wise, you'll have to make sure _two_ operating systems are up-to-date and secure. This is easier done on the Mac side, so I'd try and ditch Windows completely. (Too much hassle.)

Remember too that if you use Adobe Creative Suite it will not be ported to Universal (to run on Intel Chips without Rosetta emulation) until Spring 2007 as CS 3.

So, this parallels desktop...this is sold separately right? It does not come with the whole Apple bundle. Uhm, what do you mean by licenses?

Its good that CS3 will be out soon, at least I dont have to worry much now. :D

Actually CS2 runs very well under the latest Core2Duo machines. Photoshop is slightly faster under rosetta emulation on my MBp than it was native on my PB (last 1.67 G4). So I wouldn't worry about that too much. It will be nice when CS3 comes though.

Parallels (www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/) is a 3rd party app, costs about $80 (USD).

As far as licenses, they mean legal licenses for each piece of software that you're running (that is, buying it new at a store).

You could also use "Boot Camp" free from Apple to install a legal version of WinXP and dual boot between Windows or OS X.

This way your Windows has no performance hit, as it can have when running in "Virtual" mode.

jb.

The performance hit by running Adobe software in Parallels isn't that big compared to rebooting everytime you need to go from one app to another. ;)

Yup...I do photo stitching in Parallels (Panorama Factory under XP Pro) and there's no noticable hit on performance. Its downright fast (blows away a 3.0GHz Pentium D on the same pics).

The downside to Parallels is no harware 3d graphics, so gaming is out. For quick access to non-gaming programs, its a much better option than bootcamp IMO.

Back