Windows style file move

zorro2b

Registered
Since switching to a Mac there is one thing I have not found a good solution for. That is moving files around. Under Windows I would just Ctrl-X, go to the target directory and then Ctrl-V.

I find the whole drag and search for the target directory on the Mac much more cumbersome. I know I can move the file over directories and they will open up to navigation, but it is clumsy to have to hold the mouse button down while navigating. I also don't find Expose very helpful in this area.

Is there a utility that enables a Windows style file move or some other alternative I can investigate?

thanks

yes it is a little annoying. I can understand apple's logic, as it prevents acciential loss of data if you cut a file, then copy another before pasting the original file. Now on Windows this cannot happen because when you cut a file it isn't actually cut until you paste it, so you will not lose the file, but this in itself can be confusing logic (it's not really cut, it's "marked" for moving). I would like to see a "move to..." command or similar in the finder to get around this, but at this point there is ntohing much we can do.

There is a program called FileCutter which claims to allow you to cut and paste files. I have never used it but it might work (it's $5 though. that isn't much, but considering its simplicity I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend anything at all!)

Dragging and dropping is really he only way. Don't forget when dragging and dropping a file from one storage device to another (eg. hard disk to USB drive), you can force it to move the file rather than the default copy by holding down command

It is possible to copy and paste, either with Command-C or by right-clicking the source file and choosing "Copy", and then navigating to the destination and using Command-V to paste. You then have to go back to the source and delete the file from there if you no longer want it there.
Another way of moving files from one place to another which I sometimes find handy is to drag the file to the desktop, navigate to the destination, then drag from the desktop to the directory.

Back