Windows Terminal Client

is available and works great!!!

Gnome/Aqua/CLI and NO MORE WINDOWS!!!

well, except for those silly servers left to admin...

i installed the fink package and the Xfree86 package,
both downloaded from apple.

Then I updated fink with dselect. Selecting all the
gnome related packages.

This messed up my Xfree86 install, so I re-installed it.

This fixed everything, and left the all the gnome stuff
fink downloaded and installed.

then i copied the xinitrc into my home directory calling
it .xinitrc.

Then i edited the line of this file which previously
listed 'twm' as the manager. I also deleted the
"xterm" and "xclock" lines. I left the "exec login"
line, because I don't know why it is there, and closing this
window ends the XDarwin session.

dont know why, but reboot.

now in your applications folder you will have a XDarwin Icon.
Open it up. You are asked to choose between rootless and full screen. I chose full screen, since you can toggle between the desktops.

Then i downloaded the rdesktop 1.1.0, not the 1.0.0
Then change the lines in the makefile listed in the previous post.
This will allow the compiler to work properly.

Then in XDarwin, type
rdesktop -n clientname w.x.y.z
where client name is the name of your computer, and w.x.y.z is your servers IP address.

note: -g is a usefull flag, i run at 1024x768 so i use
rdesktop -n rliebsch -g 1024x768 10.0.0.30

then BOOM there it is.

I realize this is not pretty, or thorough, but if requested, I can write up a pretty Instruction sheet.

heres the result

Install MacOSX
update OSX
Intall Developers ToolKit
Install FINK
update FINK
add all GNOME in FINK
Install XFree86
download rdesktop 1.1.0
then tar -xzvf rdesktop1.1.0
pico Makefile
add --traditional-cpp to the CFLAGS line, then save and exit
then ./configure
then make
then make install
then start XDarwin
then open an xterm
then type
rdesktop -n clientname -g 1024x768 SERVER.IP.ADDRESS

Then login and admin your windows.

:D :D :D :D :D
Thanks! I was able to get rdesktop running on my Mac using the instructions provided in this thread. Be gone Virtual PC!
Except for some "broken pipe" errors when trying to connect - I simply "arrow up-return" a few times to get logged in - this program works marvelously well.
I'd like to contribute by giving my own installation history, which is a bit more documented than the previous post, so that the less technically inclined are able to get it done as well:
- downloaded Fink (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/fink-0.3.2a-installer.dmg.gz)
- followed the Quick Start instructions (4 points) on http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php
- installed all the Gnome packages using dselect (170 MB!)
- installed Xfree86--rootless using dselect
- downloaded rdesktop 1.1.0 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rdesktop/rdesktop-1.0.0.tar.gz) and expanded it using Stuffit Expander
- started a terminal window and moved into the rdesktop directory (nice terminal feature: type "cd " and drag the folder in the terminal window)
- adapted Makefile using BBEdit and REPLACED the parameters of the CFLAGS line by "--traditional-cpp" and saved the file
- adapted the rdesktop.c and xwin.c files as well (I've enclosed them in this message, remove the .txt extension after download an expand) and replaced the ones in the rdesktop folder
- then in terminal window I typed "./configure"
- then "sudo make"
- then "sudo make install"
- I then launched XDarwin by typing "startx -- -quartz -keymap USA.keymapping" and changed the keymapping option in XDarwin preferences once it had started to contact the USA keymapping
- then clicked in one of the xterm windows
- then typed rdesktop -a clientname SERVER.IP.ADDRESS

I left out all the stuff I did wrong...:)
I also installed OroborOSX - it is indeed much nicer than standard XDarwin.
http://amcg.th.ic.ac.uk:80/adrian/software/oroborosx/download.html

Finally I am able to manage those Win2000 servers using my PowerBook.
Thanks again. This changes my life.

Attachments

• archive.sit.txt
    10 KB · Views: 18
I've compiled rdesktop several times, and included all the mods in this thread, from tbenning, and from Gray Fox, but my keyboard map is still messed up when I connect to a terminal server - my "m" key gives me a "c", "s" appears to be "esc", "r" looks like it's "tab", "e" is backspace or delete, etc. I'm also using OroborsX - and don't see an option to change my keyboard mapping to USA anywhere like you do with plain Xfree - any ideas?

Thanks!! Excellent thread here!

The "-a" was the solution! I just modified my shell script to include that parameter and it works beautifully!! Thanks!!

Just some more stuff I'm thinking about:

The numeric keyboard doesn't work yet

Broken pipe errors when trying to connect over a slow network. It works OK when I'm contacting my local server, but I have to launch it a few times before I get lucky and the thing actually connects to the remote server. As soon as I get into the login screen, the connection remains stable.
It seems like a timing issue during the connection phase, rdesktop decides it is failing quite quickly and deciding to close the window.
The Windows terminal client also suffers from this, but much less.
If only I knew some C, I'd tweak the source code so it would retry a few times before giving up.

Some strange mouse behaviour, resulting in scrollbars continuing to scroll completely to the end before I get control back over the keyboard. It seems like the mouse clicks get "stuck" thereby disabling all keyboard control. I have no other way to put in English so sorry if this sounds a bit weird.

I've copied and modfied some OroborOSX launcher ".x11app" files using BBEdit, so rdesktop can be simply launched using an icon. I have an icon for every server I want to control, just like with the windows Terminal Client application.

Hello folks,
I have compiled rdesktop and it is working fine. However, after doing the ./configure and make, there is only one way for me to run the program. I need to go into the directory where I did the ./configure and the make, and I have to type ./rdesktop to get it to run. How do I make it so that no matter where I am, I can just type "rdesktop" and get it to run? I know there's a way, but I don't know what it is.

Yours,
Matthew Smith

Originally posted by SuperMatt
Hello folks,
I have compiled rdesktop and it is working fine. However, after doing the ./configure and make, there is only one way for me to run the program. I need to go into the directory where I did the ./configure and the make, and I have to type ./rdesktop to get it to run. How do I make it so that no matter where I am, I can just type "rdesktop" and get it to run? I know there's a way, but I don't know what it is.

Running 'make install' after make should install the binary into a bin directory in your path. See what the --prefix was set to in configure, and that/bin is where the binary will be installed to. Usually that directory is in your path. If not, put it in. ;-)

Thank you very much for that information. I will store that in a safe place. I wonder if rdesktop will ever be able to compile in a way that doesn't require X Windows. After all, it would be much easier to deploy to novice users. Currently, if I want a Mac user to have a nice way to access windows terminal services, I have to buy a copy of HOBLink from www.hobsoft.com - it's a nice piece of software, but hey... rdesktop is free! Maybe there's a way to get the windows manager to open unobtrusively and automatically run rdesktop with the proper flags for that user. I could change the icon on OroborOSX to look like something less weird, and perhaps it could be a workable solution. Hmm... I think there's a reason people are paying for HOBLink... less work!

Matthew

No problem. :)

Too bad you can't install VNC there. It's free and totally multi-platform. Slow, unfortunately, but it has its advantages.

Actually, I use VNC here. However, I actually need terminal services because I have multiple people logging on to this server machine and using a special windows-only application on it. I have both PC and Mac users accessing it from home, which is its normal use, but if a Mac user would need to use it here at work, that would be possible too. I use it on my machine from rdesktop, but then again I kind of know my way around a computer...

Matthew

Back