Windows Vista uprgrade vs. Mac OS X Leopard upgrade

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
Windows Vista vs. Mac OS X Leopard: Upgrade Hell or One-Stop Shopping

Here's a fine piece of propaganda from the fanboys at MacHouse. Ha ha. But they fail to mention that first of all, Leopard isn't available yet, and second, Apple will charge you for each point upgrade of OS X, and you only have to buy Windows once every five years. – Charlie White from (http://homepage.mac.com/mercutio2/MacHouse/page1/page1.html)

Attachments

• osx_vs_vista_upgrades.jpg
    osx_vs_vista_upgrades.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 51
Well, the only reason it took 5 years for Microsoft to update Windows is because they couldn't accomplish it sooner. Vista (then known as Longhorn) was meant to see the light of day in 2003. However, they've had to remove so many pieces from the original Vista that it's a shame they released this final version with so little to rave about after so long. Also remember that before Vista's release, the Windows revisions were coming in at 2-3 year intervals, which isn't that much different from Apple's schedule. Sure the upgrade is sold for every 10.x release and not for every 10.x.y release, but consider that the Windows Service Packs are pretty much the same thing as downloading a Combo Updater: all they have are a bunch of updates from a certain point to a certain point. And if you look carefully at the revision numbers, Windows NT 4 was succeeded by Windows NT 5 (Win2000), followed by Windows NT 5.1 (WinXP). Open up a Command Prompt and see what it says regarding Windows' version numbers.

And as far as we know, Leopard will be able to be installed on any Mac, possibly from a G3 up (don't know if the G3 is going to be supported or not). It won't be much different from how it's been so far with previous released.

This isn't propaganda...it's the truth.

Apple will charge you for each point upgrade of OS X...

They didn't charge for 10.0 or 10.1. And phrasing it like that is misleading, since the "point-releases" are equivalent to whole new versions and are only put out every second year.

That said, MacHouse have a very valid point. Most consumers won't have a clue what they're paying for or what they're getting when they buy Vista. And upgrade installers are as annoying as hell when the time comes to reinstall, since you have to install the old system first!

Not to forget that Microsoft pitched Windows 95, NT 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Me and Windows XP at customers within six years. While we can say that is all in the past and they more or less clearly pitched the versions at different customers, it's still true that they _did_ market all those OSs to some extent. ;)

915-1.gif

Actually symphonix, Apple did charge $129 for Mac OS X 10.0. I have the box to prove it. You could upgrade to 10.1 for $30 via the mail. Otherwise, the computer stores would copy it over from their servers to a CD for free.

Every release of Mac OS X thus far has been $129 and expect this trend to continue. Since Apple had announced it would span its releases out this gives people more chances to keep the current operating system they have without having to worry about upgrading to the next one right away like before.

Apple did charge $129 for Mac OS X 10.0. I have the box to prove it. You could upgrade to 10.1 for $30 via the mail. Otherwise, the computer stores would copy it over from their servers to a CD for free.

I bought 10.0 for $199.99 at CompUSA when it was released, then managed to snag one of the free upgrades to 10.1 when that came out. If I remember right, they only did the free thing at resellers if you brought in an upgrade coupon from 10.0 and did so within 30 days of the release or until supplies ran out.

I bought 10.0 for $199.99 at CompUSA when it was released, then managed to snag one of the free upgrades to 10.1 when that came out. If I remember right, they only did the free thing at resellers if you brought in an upgrade coupon from 10.0 and did so within 30 days of the release or until supplies ran out.
I also bought MacOS X 10.0 and also have the box to prove it. If you paid $199.99 for the OS, then you paid an $80 mark-up over the suggested retail price, which was and is $129.00. If you are a student or education professional, then you may buy the OS for $69.00.

Back