Windows XP + OSX 10.4.2 - Can't get windows share from OSX

tacotaco

Registered
Okay, here's basically what the problem is..

I have 3 machines. 2 windows XP pro and 1 OSX mini-mac. The 2 PC's talk to each other just fine. The mac talks to one PC just fine, but will not talk to the other one. This is the error I get when trying to browse with the network finder:

"the alias <computername> could not be opened, because the original item could not be found"

If I try to connect with smb://<computername> I get this error:
"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://<comptuername>" could not be read or written. (Error Code -36)."

I have no idea what that means. I'm a PC guy and have basically nil experience with mac.

Did you try smb://com.puter.ip.address ?
If that works - and I think it will - do you have fixed or dynamic ip addresses? Is there any router between these computers? Give us some more input. The rules on networks are the same in the mac and pc world.

Why didn't I even try that :( Looks like you're right - doing it with the IP worked.

I use DHCP on the network. Is there a command to flush the DNS on the mac?

Only thing is I have IP's mapped to mac addresses, so that PC in question has not changed IP in months and months, and the mac has only been here a few days.

Have same issue,
running tiger, if i do smb://xxxx works,
has any body fix this issue, I also update tiger to fix that problem??? but still,
the weird thing is that works great if I try a linux box. ( cool . unix to unix works great)

Back