Windows XP will NOT use my AirPort hardware.

Hypernate

McGeek
I recently get my AP Extreme base station, and both mine and my mother's iBooks are working great, but my sister's Windows XP toshiba won't connect to the network.

It will detect it, but then, even when I use the equivalent WEP key, it won't connect. Is this a problem with my base station, her laptop, or the software?

I had the same problem. The only way I could get it to work was to turn off the WEP, so basically there is no password to acess the network.

If you don't care, try turning the wep password protection off. I've heard that its breakable and wouldn't really keep a knowledgable hacker off your network.

No it can be done. uncheck enable 802.11x authentication in the advanced tab under the connection properties, put in your wep key and it will work. I am at work now but also check the settings for shared key and try either checking or unchecking it. My xp desktop at home works fine with my airport extreme base.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I simply said I had the same problem and only found one work around. However, thanks for the tip. I'll have to check into that myself. You should do a website on how to set up one to work with XP.

I know you never said that it couldn't be done. Just an expression that I use.

I took your advice and made a quick webpage to show how to do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/heathpitts/airportconfig.html

(don't laugh at the simplicity)

WEP can be broken, but at least it is somewhat secure for the normal user. At least using wep and enabling only certain MAC addresses to access your AE Base you can stop someone from freeloading on your net connection.

Hi!!
I wanna get some advices. In my job, we gonna buy a laptop pc, and I want to connect to my airport base station (I think it graphite, but I dont know). Which wireless card do u recommend me?

Thanks very much!

Just for the record, it is extremely time consuming to crack WEP. It can take anywhere from an hour to a few days, depending on network traffic. On a simple home network the easiest way to keep it secure is to turn off SSID broadcasting and change the WEP key often.

Hypernate said:
I recently get my AP Extreme base station, and both mine and my mother's iBooks are working great, but my sister's Windows XP toshiba won't connect to the network.

It will detect it, but then, even when I use the equivalent WEP key, it won't connect. Is this a problem with my base station, her laptop, or the software?

I went around and around with this for hours - then I hit on the solution for ME anyway...

I was being a good little computer geek and typing the WEP equivelant key in just as it appears - caps and all. Well, turns out the base didn't like the CAPS from the PC. I just typed it in without capitalizing the key and it worked like a charm.

Of course, also followed the turn off 802.1X instructions.

the page heathpitts created is exactly what I need, but the link appears to be dead. Any chance of a repeat of the explicit instructions for us thickies?

many thanks indeed

I had same problem and was recomended to download some free software called 'bonjour' this sorted out all my problems! I have lost the link but I think a quick search for it would do the job

Back