Windows Xp

thisfuture

Registered
Have you seen Windows XP? I have known about it for a while, but it still really pisses me off. Go to microsoft.com, and there will be a link. I think this should be one of the main areas of discussion on macosx.com. Here is a picture of Windows XP (I wonder where they got the name?)

I've seen it, have been seing it for a while now.
COming from M$ this mockery of an OS was quite expected.
When Apple makes one step towards one direction everyone else (or at least M$ follows).

Seems to my like apple is the leader of the pack but no one likes the leader so everyone b*tches :p

You should see the discussions about xp on Macslash. Most people consider its interface to be a failed attempt to copy aqua. I think the fisherprice look is the ugliest thing ever created.

Ha ha ha :p

They probably took the interface out of something fisherprice-soft made and mixed it in with aqua :p

i find it highly unethical and immoral for M$ to just step on people's shoulders and pop off the work. i'm a libertarian, so i believe that they have the <b>right</b> to do it, but i can't see how bill gates can show his face in public without feeling ashamed of the fact that he has nat had one original idea in his whole lifetime!

bolindilly

Politically, as a libertarian you say that he can do it, but its kinda like communism in this aspect because if I make something NEW and you are over my shoulder and steal it and make your *new* thinf that is like my NEW thing, and if no court action or some wthical action takes aplce and we accept it its kinda like saying living in a commune, one person makes the prototype and all others imitate.

I am pissed off and dont like gate;s behavior. He seems that he should have lived in the renaissance since copying other people's work was acceptable LOL

Anyone remember the change in his keynote from the day before SJ's digital hub keynote to the day after? He went from saying that desktops were dead to saying that they would become the center of your digital technology. He basically stole SJ's speech.

Anyone else want to see bill lose everything?

we've got to figure out a way to expose him. if the general public knows (which they don't now), that everything they do is fake, other companies' sales will start to increase.

also, for fairnesses sake, i think big ol' stevie should start stealing some microsoft ideas from xp, just to be fair. (in particular, the way in xp, when you log out and log back in, all apps and windows stay there and open...)

bolindilly
(also a matt)

That would be fairly useful. btw have you heard that IBM is planning to sale their computers with Linux instead of winblows. What happens to the public opion of M$'s products when big blue stops supporting them?

Don't get upset that Microsoft does some of the things that other companies do such as Apple.

If GM put the first air conditioning in cars, should they be the only ones ever to do that? Of course not. Our free market system works by companies using, borrowing, licensing, stealing ideas from others. I'm sure glad I have air conditioning in my car.

Aren't you glad that Apple finally has an OS that uses a microkernal architecture? I sure am. Well if we say they didn't come up with it first they sure as heck can't use it, we still would all be stuck with 1984 technology.

We all use each others ideas and that what keeps making things better.

I installed XP beta 1 not too long ago, in order to get a look at it, etc. Overall, the interface isn't very good (of course) but one thing I liked is it gives one an immense variety of options: logging out/in, interface options, etc.

Obviously, osX isn't going to be an inferior OS; but I'd not be offended if a few of the ideas that got into XP got implemented in osX, too. It's not like the opposite isn't going on... ;)

Noel

lol.

When did unix first come out? The point is that M$ has no originality at all. They steal everything and take full credit for it. They also force their competition out of the market and steal ideas from them.

M$ should be shut down. I like A/C in my car but GM didn't design the A/C they just thought of putting it in the car. M$ steals ideas that other companies came up with for use in a product so that consumers won't buy that product from that company.

Windows XP has the major disadvantage of running windows software, which is to say software which does not follow interface conventions.

Spend the day using a package like S-Plus and soon enough your ears will start to bleed.

MacOS saves me time and thus money. OS X is getting there, but it's schizophrenic. Apple needs to polish off their Cocoa and Carbon libraries to deal with obvious interface differences.

They also need to give up trying to pass off Swing as an OS X API |-p

I'll take my Swing apps in 'metal' form only. The Aqua facade is worse than Tenon XTools using Aqua title bars.

All right, I hate Windows (now), and I get fairly dejected everytime Microshaft innovates there products and ends up with credit for an Apple concept, but... Bill Gates is a god...

He took an inferior product and made it the icon of the computer using world. He became a billionaire by trying (pathetically) to copy other peoples work. He has a vision of the future and computing, derivative as it may be, that dictates the practices of a large part of the world... That, for everything else Bill and Microsoft may be, is amazing.

Now, have you all seen the prospective specs for the new XP boxes? Bill has essentially told all the PC-clone makers, hey, start making Apple machines, or else XP won't work on your systems. Seriously, he wants 128 MB RAM (min), 40 GB HDD (min), two firewire ports (one on laptops), 2 USB ports, no serial/no parallel, 16MB video cards from the word go, and a host of other features that HAVE BEEN PART OF TH MAC for like two years now....

All right, that's the end of my BG/MS griping for today.

There was a quote from a MS MacBU engineer somewhere saying how after MS showed Apple the IE5 interface, Apple immediately switched from brushed metal to Aqua for OSX.

I don't know the relative times involved WRT development cycles, but it's probably close.

Back