Windows95+wireless + 10.2's internet sharing.... help!

adambyte

Registered
Not quite sure where to post something so Windows relevant...
Alright, so here is the theorhetical setup:

My PowerBook G4 is connected to the internet through my university's T1 line, via Ethernet. I have an Airport card, too. I also have an old Windows 95 PC, and an old Farallon (2mbps?) Wireless card. So, theoretically, I should be able to connect the PC to the internet through the PowerBook's wireless connection like this...

WinPC w/Farallon Wi-Fi <--> PB G4 w/Airport--Ethernet <--> Ethernet to T1 line

So, I turn on "Internet Sharing" in the "Sharing" preference pane, and the Farallon card starts blinking on the PC, as if it's making a connection... And the Farallon softwares has a little indicator in the taskbar which turns Green and says "Linked"..... however, when I try to go to a web page in Windows Internet Explorer, it quickly replies that no connection could be found.... what am I configuring wrong?

Airport cards use the 802.11b protocol. You need a wireless card that supports this protocol for it to work. If Farallon is 2mbps then it's not likely 802.11b compliant, and that's why it's not working.

Actually, apparently I got this to work. Crazy, huh? All I had to do was enter the IP of my PowerBook, and add it as a "gateway" in Windows. Now my little PC is on the internet, too. Crazy, eh? Hope this helps someone else who is trying to do anything like this.

Yeah.... I forgot to mention, I used this old Farallon SKyLine card with my PowerBook (Lombard, not Pismo, so it had no Apple AirPort capability) and the original AirPort base station. So I figured it was possible.

Originally posted by adambyte
Actually, apparently I got this to work. Crazy, huh? All I had to do was enter the IP of my PowerBook, and add it as a "gateway" in Windows. Now my little PC is on the internet, too. Crazy, eh? Hope this helps someone else who is trying to do anything like this.

Hi,

I am having a problem. I have a digital projector with a Belkin WiFi card, and I want to connect it up to my Powerbok G4 with Airport.

I read your solution above, and was wondering where exactly did you tell windows the IP address and "gateway" status of your mac?

I am testing the card and using a PC notebook, I can see that the connection is made in the WiFi softwae, but I cannot seem to find the way to connect the mac to the PC either. When I use connect in OSX finder, it does not find the WiFi PC, just those on my ethernet network.

Any advice you have would be great.

Andrew

Back