WindowShade functionality is BACK in Jaguar (not what you think, though)...

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Take a look at this!

From ThinkSecret's Jaguar Q&A Part 2:

dockminimizeinplace.jpg

Minimize in place! Anyone remember that weird thing where you can drag minimized windows out of the Dock, and we were all wondering what Apple was thinking? Well, it seems this is Apple's new iteration of WindowShade. Instead of the window going to the Dock, the window will minimize in place, and then you can move it around. When you want it back, just click on it and it comes back.

I think this will be really cool, especially since the minimized windows are not nearly as intrusive as a floating title bar.

Go Apple! :)

That is functionality that I will use. My dock will stay as somewhere I launch applications from and my desktop will be my current work.

Nice.

R.

That is AWESOME! The new functionality of Jaguar gets better and better. Since I hated minimized windows cluttering up the Dock, I make the minimize button hide the app instead. What I dislike about this is that I can't hide some windows but leave others of the same app. Still better IMO than the Dock. What do you think will happen with this when you minimize? Minimize to icons lining up along the bottom of the screen?

What I dislike about this is that I can't hide some windows but leave others of the same app.

actually, I have Jaguar, and you can turn off that preference in the dock and then merely drag the minimized items in the dock onto the desktop to keep them there. I'll post some screenshots soon.

Thanks for the screenshot. So you double-click to get back the minimized window? I guess the 'Minimize in place" will automatically do what you have on your desktop, but I wonder how it will place the icons. How does it work with that option checked? It can't be just randomly around the desktop, could it?

Btw, what I meant about positioning the icons along the bottom of the screen was because I have my Dock on the right. :D

1. you single click to un-minimize it, and it kind of does the opposit of scale (so it grows out, rather than just appearing)

2. when minimize in place is checked, the window minimizes into the top-left corner of the window (where the "x — +" is) unless you move it when it is minimized, and then un-minimize it, and then minimize it again; in which case it will minimize to where you had moved it and not the topleft corner

Do the minimized windows float above all the other applications? Or can you move other windows over the minimized windows?

This seems like its going to be a really cool feature. Somewhat reminicent of CDE. I would like to see some option to automatically line windows up in some fassion, such as along the sides of the screen or the bottom, etc.

Very cool! I have played around with 10.2, but because you can't "upgrade" from it to the GM, then I am not wasting my time on it.

Admin

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Do they become like files on the desktop so you could cover them or floating palates? I would think Floating would be more annoying because why else minimize? it's still in our way. I suppose it makes most sense that it's like a window, only smaller just as windowshade was like the regular window only flat. This means you could probably cycle through them with cmd~ whereas now you can't get to it in the dock via cmd-tab or cmd~

I would imagine that the minimized versions of windows are just like regular window-shaded windows.... they're not desktop icons, they're still windows, it's just that they're just smaller. If you bring an application to the front, then all of the minimized ones come back, too.

At least, that's what I think it SHOULD be

Maybe you remember MINT, it was a multi-tasking environment for the ATARI machines... It worked very well, and the way the windows were "inconified" (this was the official name of the feature) is very close (in spirit) with the minimized windows we are talking about.

Ah, Atari... What a wonderfull machine...

Originally posted by LordOphidian
This seems like its going to be a really cool feature. Somewhat reminicent of CDE. I would like to see some option to automatically line windows up in some fassion, such as along the sides of the screen or the bottom, etc.

YES! That is exactly what was in my head when I was asking about placement. I would like them to line up along one of the screen edges, hopefully selectable by me. If this isn't an option, I'm sure the Unsanity guys will make it one. :)

Originally posted by adambyte
I would imagine that the minimized versions of windows are just like regular window-shaded windows.... they're not desktop icons, they're still windows, it's just that they're just smaller. If you bring an application to the front, then all of the minimized ones come back, too.

At least, that's what I think it SHOULD be

I think that's horrible, actually. No improvement to how it is now if you hide the app. They need to move in the direction they seem to be, giving more control over individual windows within an open app. If I want to bring back one web browser window, I see no reason for all the others to come back up as well.

I agree with Hazmat, having they act just like windows, only smaller, would be a bad idea. I'm not sure, though, how intuitive it would be to have them show up along side the files on the desktop. It could cause some confusion to some users.

Well we will have to see how Apple handles it.

If they act just like windows, then you can pull just one forward without all of them coming forward. I think the only options will be minimize in place or to the dock. If you want control, you place them, if you want Apple to place them ... they'll line up nice and pretty, in the dock.

That seems to be the zen minimalist approach that Steve would take on this feature addition. Pleasing the most people with the smallest amount of anarchy in the UI.

I **think** that they float above other windows, but I'm not sure because I haven't used Jaguar in a while

I seem to remember seeing a video of this feature in the 6B11 build of Jaguar. I think what happened is that when you moved the floating minimized windows close to the edges of the screen, they would Dock to the edge of the screen. That would be very handy. :)

I really CANNOT wait 'til Jaguar! I want it now! :mad:

Back