Wintel

Myke

Registered
For anyone who bought a G5 and absolutely MUST run PC software, the news that Microsoft has so far failed to update VPC for the G5 is a blow ...

However, the UK Mac magazine MacUser is advising this interesting alternative.

http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it, but if anyone wants to give it a go, it is very cheap ....!

If it works OK, it also means MS hasn't got a monopoly any more. Until the next 'cease and desist' letter, anyway!

yeap i was lookin at this app the other day.

but i havent read any critics... it looks good !

Originally posted by Myke
For anyone who bought a G5 and absolutely MUST run PC software, the news that Microsoft has so far failed to update VPC for the G5 is a blow ...

However, the UK Mac magazine MacUser is advising this interesting alternative.

http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it, but if anyone wants to give it a go, it is very cheap ....!

If it works OK, it also means MS hasn't got a monopoly any more. Until the next 'cease and desist' letter, anyway!
This is a topic that has been discussed too many times to count. OpenOS X is selling a bundle of open source software. The emulator in question is Bochs, an open source x86 emulator that is available for the classic MacOS, MacOS X, and various other flavors of UNIX and UNIX-like OSes. Bochs and MacBochs have been around for years. For the most part, Bochs works. However, it makes Virtual PC look like a speed demon. The other area where the casual user may find Bochs wanting is in set up. You have to understands things like tracks and cylinders to create your disk images.

Not exactly. Bochs provides several OS'es complete with configuration scripts on the download page. When you want to create your own config and disk images, MacBochs, which operates graphically, provides you with a "copy this line to your config" message (you only need to specify disk size in MB) and a pre-made config file with explanations. Not that hard ... and free, unlike this wintel thing.

MisterMe may be jumping to conclusions. Of course I am aware Bochs has been discussed here before - however this seems to be software offering easier set up and management of Bochs.

Am I wrong?

I don't know about speed because I haven't tried it - perhaps somebody would like to?

Here is a tip that I fully applied to myself and our customers:
Search (seriously) for similar Windows app(s) that you need for OS X...

You will be surprised of how many of them already exist or will come for OS X... The best part is that some of them are better than the Windows versions! :p

Search and you will find! ;)

When someone absolutely needs Windows apps in his/her Mac he/she should better use even an old Wintel/Amd :eek: instead of an emulation software. If for whatever reasons someone needs to emulate Windows on his/her Mac he/she should better be ready for a slow, buggy and overall problematic solutions :( Unfortunately... :eek:

Hulkaros, I did say people who HAVE to use PC apps - and that includes me. Sometimes a specific program, rather than just a similar one is required. It's an issue of compatability with Wintel-based colleagues. This stopped me buying a G5 by the way. I bought a 1.25 DP G4 instead.

I bought and installed WinTel several months ago, hoping it was a cheaper alternative to VPC. I can say it was a
waste of $30 not because they repackaged Bochs, but rather, VPC was
much much faster, easier installation, etc. I tried installing Wintel with Win98
and it tooks a matter of hours ... like at
least 4 hours. Though it was easier to
install than Bochs, it's not worth it. The
screen size is limited to something like 800x600 or smaller. I'm sure there will
be an update for G5 VPC.

Back