Wipe and partition Powerbooks tonite?

zo219

Registered
What do you think? I know I am sure as hell am not going to spend fifty bucks for some app to partition on the fly -

Last time I looked, partitions were a big no-no, on X - always worked beautifully for me in years in classic, repairing one volume from the other -

Then tonight I see post on MacWorld advocating partitioning like it was just invented.

Hell-o? Any deep-'Nix geeks here with advice?

Tibook 15" GB (that I want to get rid of) & AlBook 17" 1.33

I'm backing mine up, and doing a clean install. You'll be amazed by how much stuff you really don't need... all that space will be free again

Couldn't agree with you more dfbills, I've already cloned existing 10.3.9 onto my iPod using CCC, and have written zeros to my main HDD... am running off the iPod now, and waiting for the doorbell to ring with the delivery of Tiger!...

You don't need to partition. You do want to backup to an external FW drive. If you ain't got that, I'd rather go with Archive & Install (Tiger is cleanly installed, with all your data in a separate 'Previous System' folder, where you can grab what you need and erase everything else...). Should you need to go back to 10.3.9, you can _again_ do an Archive & Install, this time with Panther.

But I really advise using a FW drive. Cloning with CCC, like irg63 just said.

... Further to my earlier post, it arrived at a few minutes to 8pm on the 29th, was installed by 8.30 and is running like a dream :-D

zo219 said:
What do you think? I know I am sure as hell am not going to spend fifty bucks for some app to partition on the fly -

You can partition with Disk Utility. I would not partition my internal. As others have indicated/implied, having, and partitioning, a firewire external is "must" these days for safety/convenience/experimentation/disaster recovery/back up/etc.

I partitioned mine a while back with Disk Utility to put YDL and Panther on the internal. Didn't run into any issues. That is until I upgraded to Tiger last night! I guess the upgrade invalidated the boot selector, now it doesnt give me the option to boot into linux anymore! :rolleyes: So, I am backing up, and going to do a clean install w/ Tiger, leaving off YDL for now.

Back