Wireless Card Setup

Harvey

Registered
Hello everyone.

The internal wireless card on my 12 inch powerbook G4 seems to have a lower range than I would normally like... PC's can get on a network wher I am, where my mac doesn't have strong enough signal strength to join in the fun... (embarrassing!)

I got an external wireless card from a friend, it's a AIR HAWK LD-WL54G USB, and it is made by a company called Elecom.

I am looking for drivers to make this wrk with my mac, but no luck so far.

On the other hand, the access point we are using is a ATERM WR6650S.
Would there be anyway we could boost the signal strength of that?

Thanks for any tips!

Try
http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

There's only one OSX USB driver here and it might work.
If not, you'll have to try Artheros chipset drivers. This may be a problem as I think they only supply OSX drivers for wi-fi cards, not USB.
Otherwise, you'll have to buy a different USB adapter, e.g. Belkin, which works with the ralink driver.

JB.

Your connection speed will depend on what speed signal you can receive and what speed your transmitter broadcasts its wireless signal. If your card is set to receive B (slower) signals, then you'll need to get a card that does both B and G (faster) signals, like the Airport Express card.

If the transmitter only transmits B, you won't be able to go any faster than that.

If your card only has B speed I'd recommend getting the Airport Extreme card for your laptop.

Back