wireless connectivity problems

Codedogg220

Registered
Below is a problem I had which was responded to by a Tech named Dave. I have tried to reply to him but have not recieved an answer. Thanks for your help and patience!

Hello, I own the Siemens SpeedStream 6520 DSL Modem/Wireless Router and need help setting it up for wireless use with my Mac. I've looked on the Siemens website and called the help desk and haven't found any support for the modem/router that I have. My main problem is getting a wireless signal to my Airport Card on my Mac from the router. Also, I wasn't able to get any straight-forward instructions from the CD that came with the router and that's why I'm here. I've got everything on the Network settings set up with my router connection and all of the defaults set up but there's no signal on the Airport status screen. I'm new to the wireless internet thing, so I could have all the TCP/IP and countless other wireless settings completely wrong, so maybe you could point me in the right direction. Thanks so much for your time. Sorry if I completely lost you on this.

Sincerely,
Cody

Response(s)

On Nov 24, 12:51am Dave D. wrote

HI Cody,
Ok as long as you have a real Airport card, it should locate any usable network. Just try clicking on the "fan" icon near your Mac's clock and look at the popup menu. What choices does it show? If your Siemens is sending out a signal that is not a "CLOSED NETWORK" then you should see some kind of option under the Airport fan to join it.
Now, some routers do require a password to join their network. Often this can be a simple default password such as WLAN (that's it on Belkins often) or sometimes "wireless" is used or sometimes "admin" is used as a password. Even just the word "password" can be the actual password.
Try a few and see.
In your Mac, try the Airport setup assistant, too. Mostly, though, this works with an all Airport system on each end of the network.
But you really shouldn't have to mess with that. Just make sure that your Airport preferences are set to join the best available network. Airports are designed to make it easy for you to be online in any public setting like a coffee shop or hotel without a hassle.
Just click that little fan - it may be a light grey now - and see what options it gives you.
ALSO: in Network control panel, make sure you have the Airport checked off as an option.
Dave

On Nov 28, 4:25pm Cody wrote

Thanks for your quick response Dave, I've got a few more questions....
I originally created a new location (on Airport setup assistant) and typed in the IP Address and Subnet Mask that the manual for the Siemens modem/router suggested and created a network. Now when I click on the airport icon at the top of the screen and click on the "SpeedStream" network, the wireless indicator on the modem/router turns on and airport acts as it is working fine. However, when I try to get on the internet, nothing happens, no connection, nothing......so I open the app "Internet Connect" from the Airport icon and it shows that it's connected to my router, but in Signal Status, there is no signal showing for the network.
I can turn off Airport, and use the router fine via Ethernet connection. I even have an admin/diagnostics web-page for my router that recognizes my connections via ethernet and everything seems to be running okay, that is until I turn Airport on.
Is there any need to adjust some settings with my airport/network? (i.e.Airport ID, IPv4,Router,DNS Servers,etc.) I was given a 64 Bit Key from the setup page for the router, is that something I need to type in somewhere to pick-up the signal?
You said that I shouldn't have to install any software to be able to pick-up a wireless signal with my Airport card, and I haven't been able to install anything from the router setup CD (due to the incompatibility with my Mac) so I wouldn't see why that would be the problem.....
Again Dave, I'm sorry if I lost you on this, I'm brand new at this wireless connection stuff, so let me know if I've screwed up and need to restart all my settings or if there's anything else that I'm doing wrong. Thanks so much for your help.

Cody

Back