Wireless Firewire?

IEEE 802.15.3 was approved this Monday according to MacRumors. What will be the practical throughput on such technology? And will we buy in to it?

I personally dont think it will replace WIFI, but if the troughput is there and the range too, what will be of WIFI?

jackdahi said:
IEEE 802.15.3 was approved this Monday according to MacRumors. What will be the practical throughput on such technology? And will we buy in to it?

I personally dont think it will replace WIFI, but if the troughput is there and the range too, what will be of WIFI?

Read this on Slashdot.org this morning. I believe there is going to be a plethora of options for wireless connectivity in the future. Eventually they will all pan out, and something will standardize the market. Right now, everything is new so all this trial and error stuff is going to be around for some time.

This idea is good though since we as users/consumers will provide feedback about each technology. we ultimately are the driving force for these companies. Whatever we respond to, they will push that technology for future and better use.

But right now, I'm open to all. I would like to see one medium though. If there are such a variety of options, every company will use what they feel is the best thus leaving the consumer with a mish mosh of products. I hate when a product works only with products of the same brand.

peace.

I can't tell you how much the term 'wireless firewire' grates on me. Echh!! I'd sooner abandon the term 'firewire' entirely than hear 'wireless firewire' lobbed about. I'd far rather hear them call it Wifi2, or Wifi400 or Wifi.15 or Wifi1394 -- even "Wireless 1394" - but PLEASE not "wireless firewire". Argh.

I'm not so sure these days that in fact a standard will emerge.

Look at USB 2 and Firewire. Many hard drives these days have BOTH! Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever heard? There is no technological reason for both technologies to exist. FW is better. Period.

And the various video codecs and media wrappers (QT/WM). What a disaster. Standards. Yeah right.

And look at digital cameras. There's like, what, five or six completely different storage technologies for cameras. Come on people, can't anybody get on the same freaking page here?!

The last technological standard that I can recall that worked great for developers and consumers is MIDI. That was twenty years ago. It was a WIN, WIN, WIN for everybody. But today, NOOOO, forget about it. God forbid companies actually agree on a true open standard.

ARGHH!

Throughput - as discussed in other threads - will be about the same as 802.11g (~*60 Mb/s). However, this should not in any way replace FireWire or WiFi - it should be an addition. Mainly, consumer video products shall be connected through wireless FW. Streaming video from a DVD-recorder to a TV, for example. That's good. But it's not aimed to replace FW or WiFi.

Hmm... What about "FireWire through the Air and Really Slow"? -> FWARS.

Hmm... Thinking, thinking... NOW I've got one that'd work. Looks similar enough to 'FireWire' and would easily be associated in a correct way, I believe:

LessWire.

WiFire... hm, not bad.

Though I'm still not at all clear on what, if anything, this standard has in common with firewire.

Maybe they'll put it in the new 3.65GHz band the FCC allocated for new wireless.

How about AirFire or WiLink or Fireless?

It probably won't contain the term fire, since fire is energy and energy as in power as in powering the device would be pretty much non existent in this wireless incarnation. Hower, FI or RE may be in there so RE-WIRE, FI- WIRE, FREE-WIRE would be more appropriate... howerver it probably will just be 1394WIFI

Back