Wireless help, please

kafene

Registered
Just bought a bunch of wireless stuff for my condo.

I bought a wireless hub and pcmcia card for my wife's PC laptop and it works fine. For my Mac though, I got a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G PCI adapter. It doesn't come with any Mac software, but the guys at Fry's said it would work.

I plugged it in and .... nothing. What do I need to get it to work? Or is it not compatible at all? I may just end-up getting an Airport card if it's not compatible. If I get the Airport Extreme, it is "g", correct? Also, will it fit into my Mac (I've heard fitment problems on older models of Macs). I have a Dual 1.25 G4.

Thanks guys.

kafene.

Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G PCI adapter Requirements;

Windows 98SE,Me,2000 or XP

Well, open up the System Profiler application and see if the card shows up. (Easiest way to open that up is to select the "About This Mac" item from the Apple menu, then hit the More Info... button).

Select the PCI/AGP Cards option and see if it's there. If it is, then your computer can use it, if not, then it can't.

BTW, Bob, that's not always a good indicator. I bought a PCI ethernet card that had those same requirements, and it works. ;)

bobw said:
Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G PCI adapter Requirements;

Windows 98SE,Me,2000 or XP

I have a bunch of hardware that only came w/ PC specs and drivers that I use for my Mac.

Darkshadow, I think I'm gonna go and buy an Airport Extreme card. The guy at the Apple Store couldn't tell me for sure if my computer supported it, but said it "should". Certainly hope so. If not, I'll just return it (I just won't open the box).

kafene.

bobw said:
Yes it does have a slot for the Airport card.

I'm actually looking into the Airport Extreme. I do know that it can take the regular Airport card.

Thanks, bobw.

kafene.

When sold separately, the AirPort Extreme Card requires one of these computers:

Power Mac G5
Power Mac G4 (FW 800)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI)
PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW800)
iMac (17-inch 1GHz)
iMac (USB 2.0)
iBook G4
eMac (ATI Graphics) (See Note)