Wireless Internet via Sprint PCS Vision on Your Mac

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Sprint PCS Vision phone, Samsung A500 and managed to get a data cord for it, which is USB. Sprint has software to support Windows (of course) but not Macintosh.

For Windows you have to download special drivers etc... but with Mac OS X 10.2...

Well, I just plugged in my phone, it found it, it auto added Sprint PCS Vision to my modem profiles, I set my Samsung CDMA modem to this new profile, put in the secret number and WHAM, it connected flawlessly on the first attempt.

I get around 15k/sec download speed off of it. Not fantastic, but about 3 times faster than a modem. I have heard of some people getting 64k/sec off of it, but it all depends on what tower you are using.

Scott

wow thats a great feature, i wonder if i can do that with my audiovox phone....

ive been wanting to use a cell phone for a long time with a laptop to "dial up" anywhere, but ive never seen the option...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

i wonder how well that would work with a new pk and a bluetooth phone... sounds incredibly fun! i cant wait to get some new technology.

Your monthly cost is the cost of your service plan, whether it be $45/month or $85/month. There seems to be some confusion on if "Unlimited" vision means unlimited internet or unlimited downloads within the realm of the minutes in your plan. I am sure this will change soon to clear up the confusion.

Sprint PCS currently has NO Bluetooth phones although I hear they will be re-introducing the idea into their testing departments in the near future.

i haven't found one yet unfortunately i just got PCS vision and a a500, that was the one down fall i saw with it thus far....

One thing is for sure... don't count on Sprint supporting any "Macintosh" related in the near or distant future. The same could probably be said about the other service providers as well.

Of course, much of this has to do with the phone makers, but the carriers can request or demand such options if the want.

Is this a 3G network? I'm presuming it is since you couldn't connect at 15k/s with 2G! I tried out 3 but they didn't have their Internet services up yet so I ditched them and went back to Orange. I just got an Ericsson T610. The bluetooth support is great, haven't tried it as a modem but I don't have a laptop.

I looked into this with Sprint a while back so pardon if i get some facts wrong. I read on another mac forum that although you can hook up your mac to your cell phone and use your phone as a modem, Sprint will block you from doing that when they find out you're using so much bandwidth. Sprint wants us to use their PC card for that purpose and pay extra for that.

Back