Wireless Issues with Linksys Router

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
For some reason i can't connect to my secure network unless i choose from it from the Other Menu in internet connect and input the WEP Password. It won't connect any other way. I've tried trashing the *.plist file and i'm not sure what else to do.

When you start up, are you saying that the Airport icon in the upper right corner (the fan) is greyed out?

Also, when you click this greyed out Airport icon, can you see your connection, click it and then connect after entering your password?

If can do the above, then you simply need to check the box to save your WEP password in the keychain.

FYI, WEP should not be used any more. Your Airport and router probably support WPA (WPA-PSK) and this is a more secure protocol. WEP has been broken so use WPA or WPA2 instead.

applemaz said:
When you start up, are you saying that the Airport icon in the upper right corner (the fan) is greyed out?

Yes, the icon is grayed out

applemaz said:
Also, when you click this greyed out Airport icon, can you see your connection, click it and then connect after entering your password?

Yes i can see the connection, but it won't connect to the network that way it always states that there is an error joining the network. I have to select "Other" then enter the network name, then enter my WEP key

applemaz said:
Your Airport and router probably support WPA (WPA-PSK) and this is a more secure protocol. WEP has been broken so use WPA or WPA2 instead.

How do i setup WPA?

You have to go into your router and change the option from WEP to WPA or WPA2. Then you need to set a password (preferably 20+ characters in length) and then when the router restarts, you need to choose WPA or WPA2 encryption and enter this 20+ character password into your Airport card's password box so you can connect to the router.

I'm not seeing that in the firmware settings on it. I removed the WEP password on the router, and my Powerbook connects to it automatically with no problems at all.

What the heck is going on with this? I reparied permissions but it still doesnt connect automatically i still have to select "other" and then type in my password for the network.

You may have an old router that doesn't support WPA. You should go to the router manufacturers website and see if you can get a firmware upgrade for the router to allow it to do WPA.

Your Airport entry in System Preferences > Network might be screwed up. Here is a suggestion. Go into System Preferences > Network then click the Location: drop down, click Edit Locations... and highlight the name of the location you use for Airport then click Delete. Then shutdown and restart MacOS X. Go back through the same menus, but this time choose New Location... and create a new one. Then, make sure this location shows in the Network window. Underneath Location: you will see the Show: drop down box. In here, choose Network Port Configurations and in the box below, make sure Airport is checked AND drag Airport to the top of the list so it is the first one there. Next, change Show: to say Airport and under By default, join: make sure it says Preferred networks and make sure your network is the only one in the list and that it is on the top.

After doing this, setup WEP or WPA/WPA2 and hopefully it will connect automatically on startup.

Back