Wireless keyboards and mice...

XnetZero

Registered
Just saw this at MOSRumors.com

Apple has had prototype wireless keyboards and mice for quite a while now, but has withheld them for cost issues and a few persistent technical problems. The technical problems were finally cleared up recently, and Apple is now only waiting for the time to be right to leverage the development of these new wireless input devices at a reasonable price point. It could be made an option, but Apple would much rather make these standard on all new iMacs and PowerMacs....and at present, we expect this to happen either this summer or early next year.

Now is it just me or does any one else think that making a wireless keyboard and mouse standard equipment a bad thing? First of all, I don't want to bother with batteries in my peripherals. I don't want to deal w/ chargers for my mouse and keyboard. I want them connected to the computer. Don't get me wrong... I think it will have some definite cool factor, but they should be optional. And quite frankly, rather than a wireless mouse... I would rather have Apple design me a multibutton mouse!!!

Originally posted by XnetZero
Now is it just me or does any one else think that making a wireless keyboard and mouse standard equipment a bad thing? First of all, I don't want to bother with batteries in my peripherals. I don't want to deal w/ chargers for my mouse and keyboard. I want them connected to the computer. Don't get me wrong... I think it will have some definite cool factor, but they should be optional. And quite frankly, rather than a wireless mouse... I would rather have Apple design me a multibutton mouse!!!

What if you could have everything? :D

How about a wireless 2-button scroll mouse using bluetooth to talk to your Mac's internal bluetooth module and with a discreet port for a thin USB cord (so you could plug it in if you wanted to), and removable lithium-ion batteries so you could either replace batteries or just set it in its stylish docking station to recharge?

Of course, it would be expensive but...very Apple-worthy. ;)

Whaddya think? :)

(p.s. -- I've been using the MX700 for a couple months now (removable lithium-ion AA batteries) and it's never been a hassle to use the docking station to recharge. If the low battery light starts flashing I just put it in its dock overnight when I'm done using it for the day. But anyway, a USB port would fix that fer ya)

I guess my problem is that I don't want to worry about having to charge the batteries of my mouse. I want to use it when I want to use it, if you know what I mean... I think it's a great idea, but like custom rims on a car, should be optional equipment!

Oh yeah, and a keyboard with similar features except also a power cable (better that USB for laptop users because you can just set your laptop down and start using your keyboard without having to plug or unplug anything) or else a VERY long battery life.

I guess my problem is that I don't want to worry about having to charge the batteries of my mouse. I want to use it when I want to use it, if you know what I mean...

Right, so a mouse with a USB port on the wireless mouse so you could optionally connect it that way would solve that, right?

Originally posted by jeb1138
Right, so a mouse with a USB port on the wireless mouse so you could optionally connect it that way would solve that, right?

...but it would be kind of weird as USB ports are rather large. Wireless is cool, I just want a traditional set-up.

I think Apple should start giving their users a little more options especially now that they're wooing switchers. I don't want to have to go out and buy a second keyboard and mouse for my computer.

...but it would be kind of weird as USB ports are rather large.

Nah, just leave that up to Apple. Have you noticed how much thinner Apple's Pro Mice cords are than normal USB cords? They could make it slick I'm sure. Just a thin cord with a proprietary plug on one end to stick in the mouse. You gotta 'Believe'! :D

I have no idea what they're actually doing in Cupertino, but I'm just saying don't call it a "bad thing" quite yet -- Apple can do some really cool stuff...

If Apple suddenly makes bluetooth keyboards standard issue then they'd have to ditch the USB ports on each end. Personally I find these ports extremely handy for hot swapping the USB devices that I own.

For this reason, IMO, I can't see Apple coming out with bluetooth keyboards anytime soon - unless they managed to work around it somehow and provide an alternate and equally handy solution, which wouldn't surprise me.

P.S. It just occurred to me that the existence of a USB port at each end may only be to accommodate both left and right handed mouse users. If this is Apple's only reason for two USB ports on the keyboard then I guess they wouldn't have any worries about dropping them in favour of Bluetooth. I'd miss them though.

Back