Wireless net on an iBook (not AirPort)

Hypernate

McGeek
I've been trying to work out the best way to connect an iBook to a mobile phone to access the internet. I've done it with my sister's Toshiba with my mum's 6210 Nokia using infra-red but the iBook doesn't have IR. What would the best solution be? And I am prepared to (in the nearish future) buy a new mobile (I have a Nokia 3310) at a reasonable price.

Would bluetooth be the best way? The N6210 has bluetooth i believe...

I believe Bluetooth would be your only real option in that situation. IRdA is sorta dying, anyways. Why be stuck with line of sight when you can have the phone in your pocket!

Heya,

As a note, the 6210 does not include Bluetooth, or at least not the version sold in the UK. The newer 6310 and 6310i do have Bluetooth.

Also check with your network as to how much extra it will cost you to use GPRS which is what I think you would be using for surfing.

Phil.

I THINK that the 6210 Cyber Silver has bluetooth... it mentioned it on my mum's phone's box...

But I'll have to check.

Does anyone know what the possible conenction speeds are? I got 9kbps on IrDA :p

And it's so expensive to surf on a mobile I'd just use it to pick up emails and send them on the road.

One way to connect, if your phone is a modem is to use a Keyspan high speed Usb/Serial connector with a data cable or a USB date cable if it is made for your phone , then you will not need the USB/Serial connector

Then you will need a modem script for you system folder/ext/modem scripts .

Click here to read about it: http://www.sentman.com/mac_pcs.html

Back