Wireless Powermac help

corimay

PeanutButter
At home, we have a 802.11b wireless setup on a W2k network and I want to be able to get my Mac onto this network so I can have Internet connection. What should I be looking for in terms of adapters (ie, specific brands for the mac?), and is there anything special I need to do in order to get it hooked up? Can people suggest certain brands ... and model numbers would be great!

thanks!!!

I'd suggest Apple's Airport card, as this is the best integrated into the OS and takes advantage of the antenna built into the PowerMac G4 (I assume we're talking about your G4 Dual 867, right?)

There are other cards on the market, but they aren't really as well supported, nor any cheaper.

Thanks! I overlooked the Airport card because I assumed it was only for laptops.

I just put the Airport Card in (with a D-Link wireless access point hooked up to a PC) and it works great!

I have a problem ... when my computer is in sleep mode, idling, or just booting up, my Internet connection is disconnected. I know there are a lot of questions about the Airport card, as I did a search, but I need more help.

Here's what I have setup at home.
D-Link wireless access point connected to Cable modem on a PC, and my G4 has the Airport Card installed.

When I go to Internet Connection, "default" is selected for Network.
** "default" only shows up when the Internet works ***

When the Internet connection is down, "no network" is selected for Network, and there is no option to chose "default"

So what am I missing? I can't simply go to "connect" to re-establsh my internet connection.

I called Apple and they told me to unplug the power to the DLink and Cable Modem. That works, but I have to do that every time my Internet goes down.

I read somewhere that you can go into the Terminal and do a "ipconfig" to renew the IP address - which is common for PC users. I couldn't seem to find the Terminal, and wasn't sure what commands the Mac needs to release/renew the IP.

Thanks

Back