wireless printing?

shad0w

Registered
Hi,

I read in the description of AirPort that it's possible to print with wireless connected printers.

What do I need to do so? And, how is it possible to print over bluetooth?

thanks a lot. :cool:

You can plug your printer into your airport-station with printserver or any other wireless-accesspoint or router with printserver. I never heard about a printer with a builtin wirelesslan card.
About bluetooth: should be easy if you have a bluetooth-printer. But remember the low range of bluetooth. It's around 10m

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
You can plug your printer into your airport-station with printserver or any other wireless-accesspoint or router with printserver. I never heard about a printer with a builtin wirelesslan card.
About bluetooth: should be easy if you have a bluetooth-printer. But remember the low range of bluetooth. It's around 10m

hmm, sounds nice. I have an old HP-69?C printer in my sister's room, but no pc or printserver I could plug it to. :(
Maybe I'll buy an lpt to usb/bluetooth adaptor. The actual bluetooth technology has a range of 100 meters. ;)

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam btw, welcome to this forum!

thanks. ::angel::

edited the quote-tag for better reading.

Well, I have also the 100m msi bluetooth-usb stick and my cell doesn't allow me to be more far away than 8m (inside of the building). So, I actually don't know how they measured those 100m...
And I am not so sure, if your lpt2usb and so bluetooth adaptor would do, what you expect from it. I never heard of someone successfully using a lpt-printer on a usb-plug. But I might be wrong...

You added a zero. No devices used in Bluetooth seem to have a range more than 10 meters (that would be 30 feet, mostly limited by the very low transmitting power) If you need lots more, you'd need some other form of transmission. There is a list of blue-tooth compatible printers, at the BlueTooth.org site.
All this is academic at this time, anyway. Apple does not yet provide OS support for printing through Bluetooth.

HERE'S A LIST of printers that are compatible with the Airport Extreme Base station (not all USB printers are)

k. Thank's for your replies. Maybe I'll get a cheap USB printer at ebay. Don't want to mess up with this lpt shit.

Back