Wireless router/access point recommendation?

bunner bob

Registered
My Asante FR1004AL wireless router just died. It's time to buy another one, plus I need an additional access point to cover the entire house (one router, one access point).

Linksys, Netgear, Asante, etc. - who do you like, and more importantly - who do you hate?

- Bob

Tsk, aren't you even considering the Apple Airport?

I actually have a **1st generation** Airport base station, and it still works great. 802.11b (11Mbps) is more than adequate for my cable modem (a mere 2.7Mbps).

My wife even accesses it easily from anywhere in the house with her HP Wintel laptop.

I have the Linksys 54g Router/Access Point + 4 port 10/100 switch to go with my Airport Extreme

I've been really happy with it so far

I do a lot of transferring of files internally so the 54Mbps really helps for that but my broadband connection is only 1.5Mbps

I'm pretty happy with the Airport Base Station as well. It also comes with a hard-wire port to plug a hub / router / switch into so you can place it right near your desktop machine.

If you're going to not choose Apple... consider Netgear. I've had some issues with Linksys. They make great routers, but wireless ones, I'm not so sure about. Netgear has served me well with their hubs on mixed environments.

I usually let price be the determining factor, as Linksys and Netgear seem to be comparable in quality. Anyone else have a different experience?

I also can't speak to Asante, sorry.

I've had no problems with my Linksys stuff--a wireless router and an access point--but I've heard of other people being frustrated with them. Netgear seems to get a lot of praise.

As big an Apple whore as I am, I don't know why you'd pay the premium for Airport gear.

Dlink is good because support is heavily documented on their website or call their support hotline if you ever need. (If you don't mind the 20-45 minutes wait). Other than that, I'd go Linksys or Dlink.

I have the Apple snow base station and a Netgear 814 and get much better range with the Netgear.

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router.

I was really annoyed at first when I discovered it will not pass AppleTalk packets over the wireless. I'm over that now, but if you use older equipment keep the AT issue in mind, I know Asante is great for AT. Otherwise, the Linksys has been great.

The Vancouver Canada Apple office had an Asante access point. I was there on Friday and it worked really well, no complaints, solid connection.

Back