wireless router/print server

zaxcom

Registered
Does anyone make a wireless router with a built in USB print server that works with both OSX and OS9. I can find lots of router/servers, but so far none that support mac in print server, only windows. I have an iMac running X and an old 3400 laptop running OS 9 and I want them both to share one printer on a wireless network.

Thanks.

There is no need for a driver. Once a printserver is setup, it will use the TCP/IP protocol and there is no need for any drivers. I know about some standalone printservers, but don't know any router-printserver combo.. I am sure there are some out there. Anyway, I am the drivers are no concern. (my wireless lan router was specified to just work with windows machines and my mac works just great with it)

I was under the impression that Apple's Airport had USB...

A few routers like SMC's (spelling?) have serial ports for PC printers. Linksys sells a USB printserver.

None of the print servers in those work with a Mac. I spoke to Dlink and the software needed to configure them is for PC only.

Apple's Airport base station will act as a printer server, and I do believe its compatible with OS9/X. Mine has a USB connection in which you plug the printer into.

zaxcom said:
None of the print servers in those work with a Mac. I spoke to Dlink and the software needed to configure them is for PC only.

Works fine with mine. Configure? What are they having you configure? It's IP printing...i.e. the printer is the IP address of the router. Any other configs needed can be done through a web based form, accessible through your browser.

You can use any router to do this if the machine that the printer is connected to is running OS X, using Printer Sharing. Check your Help Menu. I'm not sure about wireless with OS 9. Works fine with other machines running OS X.

From Help;

Sharing your USB printer with Mac OS 9 computers

If you share a USB printer connected to your computer by using Printer Sharing in Sharing preferences, computers using Mac OS 9 cannot connect to the printer. However, you can use the USB Printer Sharing control panel in Mac OS 9 to share the printer with Mac OS 9 computers.

Open the Mac OS 9 System Folder used by the Classic environment.
Open the Control Panels folder and double-click USB Printer Sharing. The Classic environment starts (if it isn't already started).
If necessary, click Start/Stop in the control panel, then click the Start button.
Click My Printers and select the Share checkbox next to the name of your USB printer.

Note: If you turn off printer sharing in Mac OS X, you can still use the USB Printer Sharing control panel in the Classic environment to share printers.

For help using Mac OS 9 USB Printer Sharing, look in the Mac OS 9 version of Mac Help. With a Mac OS 9 application open, choose Chooser from the Mac OS 9 Apple menu, then choose Mac Help from the Help menu.

As I said I have one machine running X and another running 9. You can not share a printer on an X machine with a machine running 9. You also can not share a printer on Airport with a machine running 9. so what I am looking for is a non apple solution. A third party printer server that will allow an X machine and a 9 machine to share one printer.

You can not share a printer on an X machine with a machine running 9.

Not true, if the machines are hard wired. not sure about wireless.

You've already been given a third party solution idea using IP printing.

Instructions for OS 9:
To configure IP printing:

Launch the Desktop Printer Utility. (Apple Extras Folder-Apple LaserWriter Software Folder)
Select LaserWriter 8
Select "Printer (LPR)" and click OK.
In the "PostScript Printer Description (PPD) File" section, click on "Change..." and select the PPD for your printer; Click "Select".
In the "Internet Printer" section, click on "Change...".
* Enter the printer's IP address or domain name for "Printer Address".
* Enter the queue name, if used. Otherwise, leave it blank.
Click on "Verify" to verify that the printer was found. (statement appears - printer is located at: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Click OK.
Go to the File menu at top of screen and select "Save".
Enter a Printer Name and location for the desktop printer icon and click OK. The default name is the printer's IP address, and the default location is on the desktop. Click Save.
Quit application, Desktop Printer Utility

Zammy-Sam said that printing over the lan to a standalone printserver didn't require drivers. I don't understand that. I was under the impression that when you add that printer under OS X that OS X would still want to know the model and install a model specific driver so that it send the correct format of control sequences, etc. Otherwise, what do you call the printer or how do you add it without naming the model?

We just bought a new USB/tractor/impact printer, Epson LX-890, that has no drivers for OS X so we are scratching our heads wondering what to do. Use the printer's parallel port connected to a standalone ethernet lan printserver? Doesn't OS X still want to have drivers? We thought about buying the printserver and trying that but didn't think that would solve not having drivers for the printer.

Our other option is to try to find an impact/tractor printer that has OS X drivers. Anyone know one they'd recommend that would work?

Back