wireless router setup

wix1

Registered
I recently switched broadband provider from sky to the post office but i am having trouble setting up my existing wireless router to my new post office connection. The po supply a ready configured router but its not wireless. I have setup the connection using the PO's router with ethernet cable plugged in but dont know how to use my existing wireless router without the ethernet cable. Can anyone tell me how to setup my wireless router to my new connection? Have tried PO technical support but they wont advise on 3rd party equipment. Anyone able to advise?

Well have two routers is easy. I do it myself with my 3 computers(and three routers) but i am able to keep them all on the same subnet. The trick is having only the wired router do the NAT routing and the other two routers using using the wired subnet and pass it through themselves. So my network consist of a cable mode->wired D-link router (with a built in 8 port switch)->out to a Linksys VOIP (Vonage) router and a Time Capsule. I just setup the Linksys and the Time Capsule not to use NAT (passthrough or Bridge mode) and now all my computers are on the same subnet for sharing and iTunes.

So I just took an CAT6 cable from my Cable modem router (cable mode out to the WAN port on the router. Then used another CAT 6 cable from that routers LAN ports to the Time Capsule's WAN port. Then in the settings of the time Capsule I set the connection sharing (in the internet manual settings) and set it to "Connection Sharing": OFF (Bridge Mode). I did the same thing in the Vonage Linksys router (that connections to a phone).

So now all the networks are on the same subnet (the wired router is the only router that is "routing" IPs). Sharing is now seamless in my house. The Time Capsule is using WPA2 wireless security.

Now if you want the Main router to be a "iTunes Server" then you have to have a NAT drive system that has a iTunes server built in, remember that because Time Capsule does not have an iTunes server built into it.

Back