Wireless Router

Golfer099

Registered
Hi I just bought a Netgear MR814 wireless router because Aiport Base Stations are too expensive. I will have an iMac G3 and an iMac G4. I will most likely put an airport card in the G3 iMac and occasionally have a Powerbook G3 to use it with. I can plug the G4 IMac into the router. Does anyone know how to go about setting this up?

Almost all Wireless routers; or routers in general; have a configuration mode that can be done via web browser. The documentation to the router should tell you how to connect to it through a web browser. I use a Compaq access point for my network and was able to configure it without much hassle. My iMac connects via Ethernet and my iBook connects via Airport.

Maybe this is slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a 802.11b wireless router and card for connecting two desktop macs via an ethernet cable and one PC with W2000 via a wireless card. I had an awful experience with Linksys (after 3 hours on the phone with them they finally said I may have had a bad access point and to return it). I left so disgusted with Linksys and their access point and PC card (WAP11 and WPC11) that not only am I returning the WAP11 and WPC11 (they don't work any way), I am vowing to replace my old Linksys cable router with a whole new company's wireless router. Once it is up and running I will take the old Linksys router out in the back yard and smash it with an axe - I'm ususally a nice patient guy, but that is how rude and awful their tech support was to me. I need to see this thing die painfully.

I bought one yesterday. I'm returning it tomorrow. It seems to work just fine. Configuring via the browsers interface is very simple. It does not, however, seem to work with the Airport Extreme in the PowerBook 17.

We have 3 macs and on PC at our house. They had a deal on the netgear at staples for like 39 bucks so I picked on up. I was looking through the manual and thought it would take 2 days to figure it out well by the time I got to the 3 page my girlfriend was already surfing the net on one of her ibooks. It's a lot easier to have the Pc as the direct connect and then the other macs going wireless. Once in a while the macs will screw up the IP and you'll have to reset the router. However, after 10.2.5 we haven't had that problem so, I guesss Apple fixed that.

karavite - i have the exact same setup at my place. it's an xp laptop with a linksys 802.11b card and an iMac ethernet'd to the SMC wireless barricade router. It was real easy to setup from the mac (a config web page to get it hooked up to my isp and dhcp) and the only problems i had with the windows is that it's bs ( the microsoft software engineer who lives next door gave me a copy of xp because he couldn't fix it with 98 and then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work in xp :b) but it works great, and you should be able to get it to work easy on both computers.
the only thing I can't figure out is how to get the mac to have a static ip address while the windows uses dhcp, if anyone knows how their help would be great!

Thanks Mr. K! I wish I could return the favor on the static IP address issue, but I am a networking idiot!

Back