Wireless security

Johnny Blaze

Big Baby Jesus
I just replaced my old airport g router with a new one. I don't have the box or discs at this point because it worked immediately, but then I realized that I don't have a password system set up so anyone can access the router. Is there anyway I can do this now?

Natobasso brings up a good point. Login IPs differ by manufacturer. Once you find out the IP address for your router (most likely it will be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1), connect your computer to the router via ethernet cable. Type in the proper address into a browser, and you should be prompted with a user/pass screen (again, as Nato mentioned, this will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) If you're using a Linksys router the user/pass s/b admin admin. Regardless of router type, once you're in there should be a tab which reads something like "Wireless" click on that and there should be a "Wireless Security" or "Security" tab. You should use WPA or WPA2 encryption, as WEP sucks. Type in the desired password and hit "Save" the router should restart. Wait for it to cycle through it's startup, and try connecting. (If it doesn't work, unplug the router and modem. Power up modem... wait for it to cycle thru startup. Power up router. try wireless connection)For additional security, you can also change the password of the router itself (especially if you enable remote access)

Back