Wireless signal boost

torres

unTitled 1
I live in a two story house and I have a Linksys wireless router on the second floor. I can get a decent signal on that floor but I can't get ANY signal on the first floor. Not even directly under the router while holding my laptop up to the ceiling. I don't know what kind of magical insulation was used in the construction of the house but I was wondering if there is a way to use two wireless routers in the house.

Is it possible to run an ethernet cable from one router to the other. One on the first floor and one on the second.

I was also considering a signal booster but that doesn't double the signal strength and since I get no signal on the first floor I don't really think this will be enough.

Any suggestions?

torres said:
I live in a two story house and I have a Linksys wireless router on the second floor. I can get a decent signal on that floor but I can't get ANY signal on the first floor...

Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem in my house, and fixed it by getting a Linksys Wireless Access Point for the other floor. Run an ethernet cable between the router and the WAP, and you're in business.

As I recall, you need to go to the WAP's web interface and assign it a specific IP address (like 192.168.1.251) and give it its own SSID in order for it to play nice with the router.

What mac are you using that is connected to your access point? I read about few hints, how to increase the range of powerbooks (tibooks).

I have a TiBook 500mhz. But there is also a PC laptop in the mix, and that can't pick anything up on the first floor either.

With that said I'd still be interested in any tips and tricks you have for increasing the TiBook's range.

Hmmm, I can't find the thread anymore.
But I tried it and it worked fine with my tibook.
Here what I still recall:
You will need to turn off your tibook and release the battery. On the side where you can also find the airport window, you should see a sticker. Gently press the sticker against the case. The point of this: the antenna is located there and it tends to happen, that the contact is no more optimal which leads to low range for the airport.
Sounds really funny, but it worked for many ppl and for me as well. If you doubt this, try to search in the web too. I remember someone linked to another forum.
Also check here for other hints:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15623&highlight=tibook+airport+range

Good luck!

Back