Wish me Luck... (or, I must be Crazy)

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
Tomorrow I will be adding 4 Macs to a new NetInfo domain I have to create in order to form a neat cluster of work terminals that will share login info, home directories on the server and user app preferences all in an NIS fashion.

I havent done this before. :eek:

Not only that, but I must do a uniform software install on all of them. (multimedia and web apps)

I have a copy of MacOSX unleashed, Apple's Introduction to NetInfo Manual PDF, MacOSX server Manual (printed PDF and bound!) and a few hours...

anyone got any hints. tips or known general sticky wickets I'd do well to avoid?

Do I need Apple Remote Desktop? Do I need LookUp Manager? Do I need Carbon Copy Cloner? If i Use cloner to do the installs... do it matter if the disk sizes dont match? what does cloner do about duplicate licenses? Can i use individual serial numbers on them with cloner?

thanks for any advice. :cool:

good luck!

let us know how it goes. in theory you should be able to do all that pretty easily by specifying mount points in the root netinfo server. in theory

So, some issues that I am experienceing...

1. In the OSX Server Admin App, I can't seem to set the Automount attributes fo the volumes I need to have mount at the users login. (it is all greyed out)

2. In the NetInfo Domain Setup Application, I can't seem to get teh Server Address field to hold the IP Address I input (after typing it in and pressing Save, it just disappears.)

3. My Client computers don't seem to see the Netinfo Domain in the Directory setup Applications on their hard drives. (they do however see two different Netinfo domains)

Any ideas from other Server Amin type people? I thought this would be pretty simple.

Back