Wlan Driving Me Crazy!! Help!!!

sigex

Registered
OK, I have been trying for 2 days now and I am getting nowhere. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

I have 2 houses that I want to network together. Each house has an apple airport base station. I have 2 Linksys WAP11v2.2 Accesspoints, 1 for each house. My plan is to use the WAP11 to create a bridge between the 2 apple basestations. I have plugged the airports into the wap11 using ethernet and set the wap11's to bridge. It did not work =/ Anybody know why?

I'll be honest with you I have not tried this configuration, but am willing to throw in my two bobs worth. You have a couple of things to think about.

Imagine you were running a bridged lan using wireless in the typical configuration. Essentially you want to make one transparent network/ subnet with your configuration. If you were doing the standard thing which would be to attche an ethernet switch/hub to each wap, then the swiches/ hubs would not do antything intellignet re addressing/ natting at all. You would provide some sort of addressing service to provide an address to all hosts on the virtual lan.

So the question is, do you turn bridging on in for all wirless hosts and let something else gateway and provide addressing services, ordo you choose one apple basestation to provide gateway services and turn bridging on for the other one.

I say this to set the scene but before the problem can be solved I think that I need to understand more about the architecture that you are trying to acheive.

For example, if you have a single internet connection shared accross two sites, two dual homed basestations, then you would probably turn bridging on for the base station that you did not have the internet connectionfor, and let the base station at the other side be the gateway/ addressing server. Given the role that airport basestations usually take, I am not sure that even this would work.

Could you perhaps set the scene a bit more, and maybe we can narrow it down

Well after several hours I got it to work. Guess what I had to do? I had to restart the damn WAP11v2.2!!!! That was it! Just unplug it and plug it back in. I guess that when you have an airport basestation hooked up to a WAP11v2.2 set to bridge then when you make any changes to the airport IP configuration then you have to unplug the power to the WAP11 and plug it back in so it can reinitialize. So stupid!

now my problem is I can't find a place to put the antenna! hahahahaha. Any good place to put it, it would have to go through a cement wall. Anyone have a suggestion on an antenna I can make thats powerful????

Back