.wma...mp3?

super_pup

scared.weird.little.guy
gday
ive just downloaded a .wma (windows media) file and i was just wondering if i can play it in itunes at all? ive tried dragging & dropping into it, it wont work, so do i have to convert it? and if its possible, how?
cheers
puppi

You might be able to open it in QuickTime. Failing that, you'll want to download Microsofts Windows Media Player for Mac (yes, I know how stupid that sounds, but it is a real program).

WMA is a proprietary format owned by Microsoft, which is why it isn't supported on other systems, or as popular as Mp3.

oh yeah i knew about wm player lol i use it often but i was just curious if i could have it in a playlist rather than having to switch between wmp and itunes.
cheers for your help :)

WMA is controlled by Microsoft. MP3 is controlled and licensed by the Frauhofer Institute. They license their technology to companies who make mp3 players and encoders. Apple pays them a royalty for every copy of iTunes.

Ogg Vorbis is an open source, open format with no software licensing royalties. That means you can write your own media player and provide the ogg vorbis libraries without having to pay royalties to the owners of it unlike if you wrote a media player that played mp3's.

Even if you prefer mp3 to ogg vorbis, I urge you to write Apple and urge them to put the ogg vorbis libraries in iTunes and the iPod. The more choices we have, the better.

Look on version tracker for Audio Hijack. Then start Audio Hijack, hit record, play the WMA file and Audio hijack will record it in the same quality as the WMA file only it will save as an aiff.

Back