WMV Done Right, by Microsoft!

Yeah it is good of them to offer this. It's not as if I'd spend a lot of money on the plugin anyways, it was only $10

I'm wondering though. Why would M$ even offer this to us? Did they buy out the company that made it or something?

Actually there is a small update on the flip4mac site (dont use the MS link). Its for version 2.0.1. I had the same problem as you and this update fixed it. Just let it install over your existing version.

Microsoft silently discontinued WMP for the mac...i guess cause nobody was using it and this plug in allows us to play WMA files in quicktime

They knew their WMP sucked the big one so it's easier and cheaper for them to pay the little bit of money to license the Flip4Mac plugin.

They want their WMV format to have a large market share which means supporting it on other platforms. It's a lot easier to buy out a small third party plugin and release it for free than it is to build and maintain their own app.

Good find kain. WMP really did suck the big one, this makes things much easier. Good work.

hey,

how do i use flip4mac. i d loaded it but when i go to my fav site to watch live channels it gives me teh same no plug-in msg and when i click go it takes me to windows.com/mediaplayer....can some1 help me out here

i got the latest version of flip4mac. i think its 2.2.4 or something. im not sure but its freakin complicated to get that thing to run. how do i do itttT????

... but its freakin complicated to get that thing to run. how do i do itttT????
Download and install it. Flip4Mac is a codec. Is is accompanied by WMV Player which adds Window Media versions of the standard QuickTime content file icons. With few exceptions, Flip4Mac just works for non-DRMed WMV files of WMV9 and earler formats. Nothing on the Mac plays WMV 10 or WMV 11. Also nothing on the Mac plays DRMed WMV.

If this post has not yet addressed your issues, then you need to be a bit more specific about your needs. Non-specific complaints about how "freaking complicated" Flip4Mac is will get you nowhere--because it isn't.

I have yet to see any WMV based broadcast / internet tv work with flip4mac though, a factor which makes flip4mac a quite unimpressive piece of software that was hardly worth paying for before Microsoft made it free.

flip4mac does what any third party application can do: offer support for WMV9. WMV9 DRM and WMV10 (inc drm) is a totally closed microsoft ware. i believe that microsoft view it as a bonus for using windows.

Back