Wonky computer - No Mac viruses (are you sure?)

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
OK - stupid question (and yes, I know it's Christmas Eve - about to be Christmas day, so slow traffic here. I'll post again in a few days if this doesn't get much response:

So there is suppose to not be any viruses (viri?) for the Macintosh under OS X.... I'm not so sure now. Something is terribly strange about my MDD dual 1Ghz machine.

All has been working well except for a Western Digital drive that no longer mounts after a boot or restart. Have to use Disk Utility - and then one in 5 times it still won't mount saying I need to run Disk First Aid. First Aid finds nothing wrong and the disk mounts fine. This disk is just a storage disk with no system software - just back-up files. Kind of frustrating.

What's really interesting - DiskWarrior doesn't see the disk as the name the finder and Disk Utility sees it as - it sees "Western Digital WD800JB".

But I don't think this is related to the very virus-like workings of my machine from earlier today...

Machine has been running all day just fine. I went to try to read an xD picture card (1GB) from my Father-In-Law's new Fuji FinePix S5200. My SanDisk USB 2.0 bajillion-in-one media reader seems to work fine, but the Finder says a volume not recognizable by the system has been inserted - format/ignore/eject. The same card using a little dinky USB 1.1 reader show the xD card just fine.

IN the meantime, I tried to create a new folder in my photo folder. When I did and tried to name it, garbled text appeard with some keys, while others were shapes (like a shape-font was the system font), while other keys did nothing. My mouse buttons worked in reverse, Normal left clicks on menu items resulted in the "option-click"(right click) results as in a the pop-up menu.

With no pattern, System Preference panels would either not open (clicking brought up an option to delete), or would open, but none of teh controls would do what was expected.

I did correct permissions (there were several). That made no difference in the behavior.

IN the meantime, my /user/library/preference folder had some new prefs files that had nonsense names of what appeared to be random characters. I have not installed anything new in the last couple of months other than normal updates and such. These files were new.

Subsequent restarts did not help. I finally was able to get to the prefs folder to toss the oddball files. Now, after empting the trash and restarting, things seem to be working, BUT there are now two unidentified .zip files on the desktop:

qvmac_mr11.mpkg.zip
ltx8oqbi.zip

Nowhere can I find any trace of when/how these files were downloaded. No-one else has had access to this computer.

So someone explain....

well, does anyone else use the mac? also, have you ever used quickverse? none of those problems sound like a virus, but more like corrupted system files/prefs. if it doesn't go away, you may have to backup your user dir, then do a clean install and just copy over the files you need from the backup.

Back