Wont run DVD on Radeon 7000???

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
I installed new Radeon 7000 PCI on B/W with G4 500mhz. I put movie called "theCore" DVD Player and it won't run. It said " Apple DVD player cannot open. Because it cannot find the requirement hardware" What the heck? I have 9.2.2. Can anyone help with it?

Well, my rage 128 from the ibook plays back DVDs easily. Wouldn'T make much sense, if apple puts a dvd-drive into that baby... ;)
I think it's a software-prob you got there. I am not into 9.2.2, so I can't help you right now. Just wanted to tell you it's surely not because of the graphiccard. Good luck

The Blue and White is actually a G3 - unless you upgraded it.
That DVD-R should be able to read DVD's. Did you try a different DVD?

It could be that that particular DVD is encoded differently. They (industry) haven't standardized the DVD format. Try it on a regular DVD player and see if it works.

I upgraded Sonnettech G4 500mhz, DVD-RW drive and ATI 7000 PCI. However it able to read DVD format but cannot start to play movie. When I open DVD players. I have Quicktime 6.0.3. and 9.2.2 and ............ Its all updated

What is open options?

Did the video card or DVD drive come with a macintosh cd? If so, check those, sometimes they have dvd player apps for a specific card or drive.

Well.. I found out that DVD Player is 1.3 need to update to 2.7. I am disappointed that software update didn't noticed this.

Thanks

I hope that does it for you, the old B&W's used to come with a ATI video card that had the dvd decoder on the card (via hardware) and now you need a dvd player app that does it via software. I can't remember where, but there was a place that had a cracked version of Apple's dvd player for OS 9. I had it at one point and time, but when I switched to OS X I lost it. (The 7000 card worked fine under OS X.)

Yeah we are on same boat that I found this website what you gave me url. I patched 2.7 (K) and worked wonderful..

Thanks! :D

Originally posted by MacFreak
Yeah we are on same boat that I found this website what you gave me url. I patched 2.7 (K) and worked wonderful..

Thanks! :D

Glad you contacted me and used this info I gave you to get it working! :)

It should be no problem under Mac OS X though since the DVD Player in Mac OS X is software based and is not hardware dependent.

Back