Word 2004 eating processor

MrNivit1

Registered
I've noticed that ever since I updated to 10.3.9 that Word 2004 tends to eat processor cycles from time to time. Happens every 5 minutes or so. The program just spikes in processor use until I move the text cursor or change something within the document. Very strange. Just concerns me a bit b/c it is starting to make the laptop a bit hot (I'm in an office without AC and the weather has been getting hot lately). Anybody else seen something like this?

Could it be you have the autosave feature on? and set to every 5 minutes? Maybe that explains it.

I've had this problem at school on their eMacs. Turned out Autsave was on for every 5 minutes. I turned it off and it now runs fine. If this dosent help, get back to us.

When I worked for Microsoft Tech Support it was amazing the range of Word annoyances that could be solved simply by turning the Autosave feature off. There are other, more serious, problems that are solved by turning off Fast Save but that aggravates the Autosave annoyances. The best solution -- turn both Autosave and Fast Save off and discipline yourself to click on the save icon every time you pause to think. (You do think when you write don't you? :D )

I think I have figured it out. I tried removing the autoave feature (I pretty much turned off everything 'auto'). I also turned off the EndNote citation manager updating feature. Both didn't do a thing. Word kept ramping up on the processor (I know it is Word, I checked activity monitor). Tried doing a complete reinstall of Office, went smoothly, but the problem still presisted. Even worse, I have been getting beachballs of death that start locking up Word, making progress difficult. Also an odd sort of small window kept popping upon the left side of the screen before Word actually got stuck. It seems to be happening with only one larger document that I am working on (smaller ones work fine). Anyway, to get to the solution; I scrolled through the entire document (top to bottom) by moving the text cursor with the up and down arrows. After going through the whole document and letting Word image all of the included pictures, I no longer get this odd processor consumption. I think there was an issue with Word trying to re-layout the text and unimaged pictures as I was adding text in the middle of the document. Word may have been stuck trying to re-layout a picture that it didn't 'see' yet (i.e. not yet imaged to the screen). Oh well, problem solved. Thanks for all of the suggestions, though!

NeoOffice/J doesn't need anything else. It is a port of OpenOffice in a cocoa wrapper that has full access to all the OS X fonts, services, etc. Much slicker and more Mac-like than OpenOffice.

Back