Word 2004 for Mac Footers problem

James Johnson

Registered
I Have MS Word 11.3.5. My printers are:
Brother Laser HL 5150D Driver version 1.01
Brother All in All MFC410CN Driver version 1.0.3.
There are all the latest updates.

I often need to number pages as Page no. of total, so I use the footer menu.
They appear on SCREEN, e.g. as -
Page 1 of 3, Page 2 of 3, Page 3 of 3,
but when printed out with the Laser printer they appear as -
Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3.
However, the correct footer prints out correctly on the All in One.
I am certain that I click on the correct icon for Page No. (#) and the Total Pages icon (++).
What do I need to do to correct this problem, please?
James Johnson

Have you tried to print to PDF? If it works, problem is on the driver (and you can print the PDF instead).

I should also add that I have tried using Text Edit with footers using the AddText "Page X of Y"feature for numbering in the footer. These have printed out correctly with both printers. It is not a case of mixing up ~with ++ in the numbering section.
Surely this means it cannot be the printers, but some flaw in MS Word.

James Johnson

FYI - Just tested this using Word 11.3.5 on an HP Laserjet 4230tn - it printed correctly (1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc). I don't have another printer to hand to compare with right now.
Is it possible that your printers are using different versions of Postscript? I don't have much experience with Brother printers, but I'd be surprised if it was down to Word - if one can receive and print it correctly but the other can't I'd suspect the printer that can't before Word.

'... but when printed out with the Laser printer they appear as -
Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3.' ... the same effect occurs on a HP LaserJet 1320n with 'Word' v. 11.2.

One Microsoft 'Word' resolution:
When 'Word's 'File, Print...' menu item is selected, and the 'Print' window appears - click on the 'Pages:' 'From' radio button, enter a '1' (if not already entered) into its textedit field, and in the 'to:' textedit field - enter the total number of pages value.

You will then see 'Page 1 of x' through 'Page x of x' printed on the corresponding pages.

FYI - Just tested this using Word 11.3.5 on an HP Laserjet 4230tn - it printed correctly (1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc). I don't have another printer to hand to compare with right now.
Is it possible that your printers are using different versions of Postscript? I don't have much experience with Brother printers, but I'd be surprised if it was down to Word - if one can receive and print it correctly but the other can't I'd suspect the printer that can't before Word.
I did have the Laser Printer HL5150D, as a Postcript printer, but I changed that when I updated the printer driver to CUPS, the All in One I am sure is not a Postscript printer. But the change in the driver I nade as a result of the problem not the cause of it.

'... but when printed out with the Laser printer they appear as -
Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3.' ... the same effect occurs on a HP LaserJet 1320n with 'Word' v. 11.2.

One Microsoft 'Word' resolution:
When 'Word's 'File, Print...' menu item is selected, and the 'Print' window appears - click on the 'Pages:' 'From' radio button, enter a '1' (if not already entered) into its textedit field, and in the 'to:' textedit field - enter the total number of pages value.

You will then see 'Page 1 of x' through 'Page x of x' printed on the corresponding pages.

Thank you for this. It sounds logical, and I shall try it.
Did you find this information from Microsoft or did you work it out for yourself?
I ask because if it is a known bug by Word 2004 for Mac, why hasn't MS sorted it out or at least published it as a known problem?
Strange that sometimes I have the problem sometimes I don't. And not with the same printer. I have tried Text Edit, and it hasn't caused a problem, so I doubt if it is with the printer drivers.

Again Thanks, James Johnson

'Did you find this information from Microsoft or did you work it out for yourself?' - the latter.

'Did you find this information from Microsoft or did you work it out for yourself?' - the latter.

James Johnson

James Johnson

I have been in touch with Microsocft. I didn't get far with the help line after 30+ minutes, but I have tried using Page Preview, and found it printed correctly. It may be a strange way to do it, but if it works?
James Johnson

Back