word suddenly won't start in OSX

bluegirl

Registered
This is a 2-part problem.

1. As of today, Word suddenly won't launch in OSX, it has to go through Classic. I can launch all other Office apps in X. Existing Word documents will open in the text editor.

2. When this happens, I'm getting an error message that says preferences can't be saved in Classic, so Classic can't launch. Thus, neither can Word.

The only sign of trouble was when I opened and edited a Word document that had been emailed to me by a colleague earlier today, and I noticed for some reason it wasn't paginated. Not sure if it's connected, but it was the last thing I was able to open in Word.

Anyone have any ideas? I've restarted, to no avail. I use a titanium G4 PowerBook, circa 2004.

Thanks.

The latest Microsoft Office that would run in Classic was Office 2001. Is it possible that you have BOTH Office 2001 and Office 2004 (or Office v.X) installed?

Try right-clicking (or hold down the "control" key and click) the Word file you're trying to open. Go to "Open With" on the pop-up menu and be sure to select the correct version of Word.

If you do have two versions installed, I recommend that you backup anything you want from Office 2001 and drag its folder into the trash. Finally, when you're sure you haven't thrown away anything you want to keep, empty the trash.

Now try double-clicking on the Word document you had trouble with. If you still have problems, click ONCE on that Word document and then press Apple Key+I (or click on the File menu at the top of the screen and then click Get Info). Look for the "Open With" section of the window that just popped up and select Word 2004 (a deep blue W icon). Finally, click the button that says "Change All" in the "Open With" section.

Let us know how it goes.

Doug

Back