Word X crash happy!?!?!?

jdennison

Registered
ok, my family members are being driven nuts by Word X. I moved them all over to OSX, only to hit one very annoying brick wall. My mom is a writer and depends heavily on it, only to have it set her seriously behind. Does anyone know how to get this M$ beast to be stable???
Thanks,
JSD <><

Not to be rude or anything, but is this a legitimate copy of Word (Office)? I know that people who have the 'downloaded' version have some stability problems. If not...

What exactly is it doing? Just crashing? Like, does it give you any error codes? I have Office on my Mac which is about half as good as your Quicksilver, and the only time I've had Word crash on me is when I was having printing issues.

yes, I assure you, I paid for that. And the more I use it, the more they crash. At the moment, Word and excel just quit when I try to open some files, or to save as...
A few weeks ago, word "just" refused to launch from times to times.
When it bores me to much, I "just" reinstall it. Isn't that why I've been paying for ?

huu, just to be said : my "illegal" back copies I used at home seems to be more stable, but I use it less. May be it's the new way of writing code in Redmond : the more you use it, the more it crashs...

yes, the copy we have is quite legal. We've also been using the 2001 (also legal). when it crashes, it just goes poof, like when most UNIX apps crash. whatever was there just vanishes. it has gotten to points where it does it multiple times a day.
I, personaly, havn't had any problems on either my quicksilver or my old and trusty Beige 233 G3 box.
My mom is on a 350mhz indigo iMac and my dad is on a 600mhz iBook (pearly white wonder with combo drive).

we've run MacJanitor and XOptimize on the mom's box, to no avail.
Parents are runnin on OSX 10.1.2, I'm on 10.1.3.

any hints?
thanks guys
JSD <><

I'm using word v.X under X.1.3 and haven't had it crash on me yet. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with it.

I don't think I've had any of the new Office X apps crash yet, using at least 10.1.2 - 10.1.3 if not 10.1.1 as well(can't remember).

Quite strange.:confused:

I haven't had this kind of problem with any Office v.X apps (yet), but have read several postings on this topic in various fora.
The most common cause for these crashes is corrupted fonts. Try moving everything but the required system fonts out of your font folder(s). If that stops the crashes, start moving fonts back one at a time to see if you can pinpoint the problem font.
Good luck! Office v.X is a pretty decent program when it's running right.

Office v.X is a pretty decent program when it's running right. [/B]

you're right. but fonts don't seem to me to be the only guilty. Prefs, for example, get corrupted very often, if I consider that throwing them to trash solve the problems each times.
I also get involved in fonts, to solve this. It didn't help; except that office x seems to work good with suitcaseX, which is good news.

The problems I have accessing to files or folders from the "open" or "save as" menu happen most of times while a networked backup process, or distant access to data occurs from another app. Thanks to BSD, this quit office, not the other app.

Can it be related to the way office scan the ports TCPIP ports ?

I run french-located versions of Office, on dual533 & dual800/10.1.3./1Go RAM.

From what it looks like, there are two of you having this problem and you're related or something. Are you running office on 2 different computers that are connected to eachother? If that's the case, Office is killing itself when it finds itself running on two computers.

Do a search (on these forums) for office port and you should find a couple threads that explain how to block the ports it uses to scan for other versions.

I too, run Office v.X on my graphite iBook and have never had it crash. Good luck!

no. Unfortunately, we're still running on AOL at our house, no network yet. We'll try taking a look at preferences and other things, and see what we can do, My mom will hate having to delete preferences, she's got all sorts of hotkeys set for different things to keep her moving.
I doubt it would be the OS, because I too had been running the same software on 10.1.2 and such, with no troubles at all, it's just their machines.

any other ideas?:confused:

I know this is a last-ditch effort, but maybe you should call up Microsoft Customer Support and talk to them. I'm sure that they'll walk you through some steps and may possibly find a conflict somewhere. Or possibly if there are others having a similar problem they my find a bug in their software (wouldn't be the first time).

you're surely right. If I think of it, it happens only with the two machines that are networked AND where officeX has been installed two or three times with two ot three different - but legal - SN. may be there's a thiny trace of previous/different install, and the scanning 2222 and 3xxx ports.
It's different than what OfficeX does how it quits after finding itself. In that case, Office doesn't even launch, and tell you that "another copy of...... and so I quit, na! damned hacker i caught you".
I'm talking about abrupt quit, during disk access, most of times.

I've sent an email to them, but as for calling them, they've got to give you a number to call in the first place.... they don't give that number out on the internet... odd eh?:D

Back