Workgroup Manager: User lost Prefences

acsempronio

Registered
Hello all.

I am a PC user and administrator by trade, but recently I have been moved into managing one of the Mac labs here at a high school.

The lab is all Mac G4 PowerPCs. They currently run 10.4 with the latest updates.

I have recently begun the project of cloning all of them to be the same. The image I use uses Workgroup Manager from the Server Admin Tools from Apple to manage the settings on the STUDENT user account.

I have it installed on all systems (because of the clone) and log in to the 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

Each user is managed independently as there are only 3: Administrstor, Student, and Teacher. Student is the only account I have "locked down."

I manage the application access, dock items, system preferences, finder, and even the desktop via com.apple.desktop.com.

Today I discovered a student using iTunes, a program I have restriced, and his background image was changed. HE didn't know why or how, and frankly, I don't care if he does, I just want to fix it.

So the question is posed: How do I reenable the preferences for that user?

The Workgroup Manager still lists all the preferences as managed "always" and the settings are all correct, but the STUDENT user can still open rverything, can see the drive icon on the desktop, change the wallpaper, affect the Dock, etc.

Back