Workgroups in OS 10.1 (Split DSL)

bjneuman

Registered
I am using Verizon DSL split between all the people who live in the same house as me. All of the people with windows machines are able to access what is referred to as "the network" but I believe is actually just a workgroup. Every computer has a shared folder that people are able to access from the other computers using the same DSL line.
Does anybody know how I can, with my G4 running 10.1 access this? I have been trying over and over again with the Connect To thing in the go menu, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I also tried sharity, but I couldn't get that to work either, but I just probably wasn't using it right.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bryce

It sounds like you are indeed trying to access a windows workgroup. I'm not familiar with DSL, but I think that has nothing to do with it - any group of PCs on a LAN (connected via hubs or the like) can be a workgroup and share files, they don't need the uplink that DSL provides.

To share with these computers, open the Connect To window and enter this in the URL field:
smb://PCNAME/SHARENAME
where PC name is the IP address or name of the PC and SHARENAME is the name of the share you want. There's no way to browse, you must know these things. I know that if you have a name associated with the IP address in NetInfo it can use that for the PC name, I don't know if it works with the name the PC presents to the other PCs.

You will then be asked for three things: workgroup, user name, and password. You'll have to ask the PC users what these are. I have found that with Windows 98, the user name is the one I log into the PC with, but the password is the one assigned to the specific share, not the user.

that's what worked for me, your milage may vary

Back