World of Warcraft

Righto,

You need to set Spotlight not to index the WoW folder. You frame rate should double. I'm amazed no one has told you this already - Spotlight is a killer when running games.

Cheers!

Steve.

I tried to email you, but it's set to disabled or something!

ritz_uk said:
Righto,

You need to set Spotlight not to index the WoW folder. You frame rate should double. I'm amazed no one has told you this already - Spotlight is a killer when running games.

Cheers!

Steve.

I tried to email you, but it's set to disabled or something!

lol thanks but how do I do that?

System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy -> Click on 'Plus' button -> search WoW folder and select it -> Done! :)

Do you have 10.4 anyways? Or do you not have administrative rights on your computer?

If so, ask someone who has to do it

EDIT: I attatched 4 pics below, showing the steps for the exclusion with Spotlight (as example I chose my Doom GL folder), in case you did not understand it right away. If you lack the Spotlight Icon shown in my Prefs below, you do not have 10.4 installed, which would mean you do not have to worry about it in the first place :)

Attachments

• Bild 1.jpg
    Bild 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Bild 2.jpg
    Bild 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Bild 3.jpg
    Bild 3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Bild 4.jpg
    Bild 4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 6
I also Play wow and i play it on three different macs and i always get the same frame rate as you 10FPS... it never varies or drops.... I just thought that was how the program was written..... i know my friends who play wow on a PC see me play and they can't tell it is 10 FPS.. so i just pay it no mind and go out and kill some horde and mobs... oh and grind and grind and grind.....

Yeah... dude - you can tell if it's 10 fps. I think something is wrong man. For a start, if you're hitting 10 fps, you can't raid, or pvp, or do battlegrounds.

Try removing it from spotlight indexing.

Wondering the same thing, i got the 1.42ghz mini with 512, am i goin to be able to run it smoothly? or should i invest in the extra 512 ram....well thats a good investment anyways.

Anyone else play WoW on their mini's?

1 GB of RAM in a Mac Mini makes a huge difference for WoW. It really likes 1 GB. 1.5 GB is the sweet spot though.

I have a mac mini 1.25 with 512 of ram, and it runs WoW ok soloing, but you can't raid, and big cities are difficult.

In 800 x 600, FPS are around 25 outside with everything turned off. It usually varies massively though, dropping down to around 10 most of the time.

So, i'm trying to say 25 fps isn't solid, more of a lucky spike!

Edit: I'm upgrading to a G5 iMac soon, and I'm going to stick 1gig ram stick in there, bringing it up to 1.5. If I wasn't, I would consider buying a gig of ram for the mac mini, but I can't see it making much difference.

ritz_uk said:
Edit: I'm upgrading to a G5 iMac soon, and I'm going to stick 1gig ram stick in there, bringing it up to 1.5. If I wasn't, I would consider buying a gig of ram for the mac mini, but I can't see it making much difference.

As I said already, going from 512 MB to 1 GB makes a huge difference for WoW. With 512 MB, virtual memory swapping will occur almost constantly. With 1 GB, it's significantly reduced since more game data can be kept in the physical RAM rather than being swapped out to virtual memory on the HD. I know a number of people that have made the Mac mini 512MB -> 1GB memory leap and they all say it makes a huge difference.

Ok so ill be needing to upgrade the ram to 1gb

wheres the sweet spot for ram online? I havent opened this mini up which stick does it take? how many pin is it?

Back