Worldwide Battery recall?

sgould

Registered
BBC News in London has just announced that Apple are recalling several million laptop batteries due to overheating.

Nothing on the Apple website. Nothing on the BBC website.

Anyone got any details?

Just heard this on MSNBC as well. Granted they were making a major commotion about it, but has anyone done the math? 1.8 million batteries over the past three years, and 9 known cases of them actually causing a fire. According to my math that's a 0.0005% failure (or flame) rate. Hell, I think I have more of a chance of being hit by lightning.

I'm trying to access the recall site atm., but it is almost impossible.. I came all the way to the serial number control, but I did type a letter to much! Otherwise it would have been registered.. :/

Edit: By the way, me and my friends are pretty happy to get new, fresh batteries :D

Just heard this on MSNBC as well. Granted they were making a major commotion about it, but has anyone done the math? 1.8 million batteries over the past three years, and 9 known cases of them actually causing a fire. According to my math that's a 0.0005% failure (or flame) rate. Hell, I think I have more of a chance of being hit by lightning.

Yes but what if you say 30 laptops on a plane for an international flight over water (2 hrs from any airport) and the battery catches fire in the cargo hold. Hmmm it is going to be bad news.

Well I can't argue that certainly would suck, however, with everything we are playing against a certain amount of odds. There is an inherent danger to any battery using Li-Ion technology.

Granted, I would also doubt that any unplugged battery/laptop would generate the heat needed to combust. Not to mention a non-pressurized cargo hold on a plane at 30,000 feet is hella cold.

Granted, I would also doubt that any unplugged battery/laptop would generate the heat needed to combust. Not to mention a non-pressurized cargo hold on a plane at 30,000 feet is hella cold.

Not in a pressurized cargo hold such as UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.

NTSB investigating laptop batteries as the cause of UPS cargo plane fire
Read here: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/13/ntsb_laptopbattery_upsfire/

The FAA already bans non-rechargeable lithium batteries from air shipment because aircraft don't carry fire suppression equipment capable of extinguishing lithium fires. The interesting thing is: these batteries aren't being used or charged, they're just being shipped: spontaneous battery combustion.

Well, ya learn something everyday. The FAA is not the only agency to ban litium batteries. The US Navy had a long standing policy for decades of not using lithium batteries.

Personally, I still the numbers seem so small that I wonder in the case of Li-Ion batteries how severe the issue is, or if there some other cicumstances surrounding these cases.

Back