Would Virtual PC be sufficient enough to ditch my PC?

JPigford

I'm awesome...seriously..
Right now I've got both my Dual G5 and a PC hogging my desk space. The only thing I use the PC for is to do cross-browser testing of websites and run a couple of pretty low memory apps only available for PC that I have to use.

Would Virtual PC be sufficient enough for me to ditch the PC all together? I don't plan on getting a new Intel mac any time soon, so "wait for the new pro level desktop mac intels" isn't an option. It really just needs to run a few windows related apps (Internet Explorer, Firefox for Windows, and a couple of other smaller apps).

It sounds like exactly what Virtual PC is ideal for: testing, browsing and a few light Windows only applications. In which case, Virtual PC should be fine for the job.

VPC is perfectly capable of running most 'windows' programs. what it isn't capable of (or any good at doing) is utilising anything beyond this. it doesn't have any real communication with graphics cards, sound cards... firewire.. etc, and is generally very bad at using usb and anything that isn't just plain ol' windows.

IE, Firefox, Word etc all work fine, if kinda slow, but that's to be expected. what are the other apps?

Lt Major Burns said:
what are the other apps?
One is a remote backup utility for a linux server (i use it maybe twice a month) and the other few are minor server management apps as well.

But sounds like VPC will do just fine for me.

Back