Wow! AOL actually did somthing right!

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
yea, AOL are the good guys:rolleyes:

and in other aol related news today, click here to read about aol's settlement for monoplistic practices.

naw, aol wouldn't do anything to try and control the internet like m$. never.:eek:

so let's all sign up for aol now that they have done something half decent for macs after all these years of treating us like sh*t. Be sure to type aol keyword 'sucker' when you get your shiny new account. I am pretty sure that link will have lots more pretty pics.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks ed, you're so right. aol is crap, and just because they've released one nice thing they aren't redeemed in my opinion.

I think AOL is a freakin' joke. I bet it will be the only OS X software to be able to take down the entire OS. Their software blows. What is pretty when the functionality isn't there? That's why I hated Mac OS until X came out. I couldn't deal with the lack of stability. One app taking down the OS? Hello! Even MICROSOFT got that by the mid-90s with NT, thanks to VMS. Anyway, the stereotypical AOL user is an embarrassment to the Internet.

The only good think I can see coming out of this is how many users AOL having, and maybe some influence. Then again, what's to make sites change their current "If you use AOL, click here" actions?

"With customers so easy to use, no wonder we're number one!" :D

I don't quite understand this erhm... misleaded hype on this thread. This software is buttugly! It may look 'aquafied', but I'd guess that their designers have misread the message 'please aquafy the interface' with 'DROWN the interface'. It looks more like the jelly interface of Roxio Toast Titanium than Aqua. Even Microsoft did better with their Office v. X package...

uh, i wasn't going to mention that fryke. after all, everyone has different tastes. some people must find this childish design to be wonderful.

but now that you mention it....:D

Runs very smoothly on my Powerbook...I'm happy. The toolbar is far too big though, I can always switch back to the old version if this one annoys me too much. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sent some of their programmers over to AOL to help them with the new version.

I bet the W3C peed their pants from excitement when they heard this announcement :D

Originally posted by adambyte
Um, well, while installing this new version of AOL, I saw the phrase "Installing Gecko browser..." So I don't know that it's Mozilla or what.... take it as you list.

Gecko is the name of the rendering engine behind Mozilla, Chimera, Netscape...

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
uh, i wasn't going to mention that fryke. after all, everyone has different tastes. some people must find this childish design to be wonderful.

but now that you mention it....:D

When I looked onto these screenshots, it kinda reminded me on my first WinXP experience...

...sometimes, I really apperciate the cold, technical but 100% efficient GUI from Solaris or IRIX....I wouldn't wanna work in such an environment all time, but it has it's advantages...as does Aqua have...but that AOL think looks like WinXP going Aqua...

I didn't put too much thought into the new version of AOL until I read your guys' posts. This is version 5.2 I think. Overall, the product is getting alot better, but the company needs to get its arse whooped.

What you have to do is go to keyword: beta to download the latest AOL. You might have to sign up to be a beta tester.

Hey guys,

For some reason AOL is not letting me sign on. Is there anyway that someone can post the link or something so I can get it. If there is a way to get it through my regular browser I will do it that way. But I can't figure out where to get it off of AOL's site. Thanks!

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Wonder what the UK people think about this?
We were informed by Dominic Wells (one of the AOL UK bosses) that after AOL5, there will be NO further development or support for Mac users, due to it being "A minority market"

So, basically, AOL UK are going to lose a lot of customers due to AOL US continuing to support Mac.

Personally, I have just ditched them and gone onto a 512k cable connection instead.

AOL has in the past been so backwards that one cringes to think about it. Even now it is so "internet-my-way" that most people on this board (read educated people) will never use it. But this will help the mac community because like it or not, people refuse to change.

Anyone remember the keynote from Steve Jobs where he laid to rest OS 9? He said something that not too many people gave much thought but it seems really overwhelming if you think about it. He said that out of the 20 million Mac users, only 1 or 2 million use OS X.

Considering how much better OS X is over 9 I would think that number would be much higher but then I look at the people I know (not including those I met through the campus MUG) about 3/5ths of them are still in OS 9 for one reason or another, most of which is the comfort level that 9 gives to someone who is used to it.

So I don't see AOL ever loosing the customers they have unless it's to MSN which will be just as bad if given the chance. As long as AOL is a necessary evil, it might as well be not quite so evil.

Originally posted by googolplex
well gecko is good, but the rest of it sucks.....

Yeah, they STILL cannot get the colors right between AOL's IM and AIM. If you use a black background with AIM, an AOL user won't see their text because it will change it to black text on black background.

Back